Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

whats a better investment?

• Please log in to reply

Greg_Di

Greg_Di

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have 768 ram 2700 right now

I was going to get dual corsair low latency 1gb 3200

OR

I can get 2gb of OCZ PC3200 DDR Dual Value Series (2 X 1Gb) Timings: 3-4-4-8
(its value series but it is 2gb)

OR

have p4 2.4 ghz no hyperthreading

and was looking at the Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz / 1MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Socket 478 / HyperThreading / Prescott

Any help iwll be appreciated, just need my pc to run smoother and better in games :tazz:

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
There are two trains of thought on this, the first is that high speed DIMM's (like PC4000 DDR) can make up for running slower timings by the amount of bandwidth provide the processor. Specifically, bandwidth is the amount of data that can be moved from one given device to another.

Most DIMM's that run tight timings, such as certain PC3200 & PC3500 modules, have to run the memory at lower MHz than the FSB. However, when overclocking to extreme speeds these DIMM's are bandwidth limiting the processor. What I mean by this, is that when the processor requires a great deal of bandwidth, the CPU will have to wait for another clock cycle before being filled, as the memory is just not fast enough to keep up at the same pace. Having a large pool of bandwidth is great when you're working with applications that process a lot of raw data, such as Photoshop or databases for example.

The other point of view is that CAS2-rated PC3200 & 3500 memory can make up for the lack of bandwidth because the memory has a lower latency that in effect moves data between the CPU and memory faster. Programs that do not require a large amount of bandwidth tend to benefit more from quicker data transfers between the memory and the rest of the computer; such as games or 3D applications.
memory bandwidth vs latency timings

hmmm i would say a gig of low timings for games. heh my experance its always better since the main bottleneck in memory is point a to point b since it needs to load 1 object at a time in games. while databases work alot more then 1 object at a time and can work on other stuff using the extra bandwidth.

i would say a gig of corsair

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi greg,

could you tell us what cpu you have now? if its that older 2.4 Mhz P4, you would want to make sure it can support an 800 fsb, etc. the chip may be limited to a 533 fsb, in which case you would be wasting money on the faster ram.
also check to make sure it can support the dual channel ram config, which I think it will, but want to make sure.
also, since you specifically mentioned games, what video card are you running?

just want to know what your system capabilities are, so we can suggest the most effective upgrade for you!

Greg_Di

Greg_Di

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I currently have a leadtek 6800 gt

my current p4 is 533 fsb

actually here are my specs

Thermaltake Xaser V damier v5000a steel black
p4 2.4 ghz 533 fsb 512kb l2 advanced transfer cache
764 DDR ram 2700
Asus p4g800-e deluxe (can support dual channel ram)
leadtek 6800 gt
400 w power supply

Edited by Greg_Di, 15 July 2005 - 07:51 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, so given that the processor will support a max 533 fsb, your cheapest route would be to get a dual channel ram kit of PC2100 (2x512 sticks).
this will not only increase your ram count, it will allow you to run at the full 533Mhz, increasing the current speed you have of 333.
I say the PC2100 because the single speed on those is 266Mhz. dual channel will therefore run at 533.
you could buy the faster ram (PC2700 or PC3200), but since the processor is limited to 533 max, might as well only buy what it needs- UNLESS you want to keep the ram for when you upgrade to a new processor, in which case go for the PC3200 now. that would probably be your best route actually, since you can buy thinking forward that way.

I may have confused the speeds of the PC2100 ram, so double check those numbers before buying.

your good on video card, no worries there!

if your mobo will support the 3.4Mhz p4, then you would be able to upgrade to that cpu pretty easily. that will increase your fsb speed to 800 (with a dual PC3200 kit), and the bigger cache on the cpu will help as well, plus the hyperthreading offers good increases too.

Greg_Di

Greg_Di

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so audioboy what do you think I should get first to improve, in the long run I will be getting both, but have enough money for one of those right now

will the p4 be the better purchase now or should I buy the dual ram?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would get the ram intel cpus might take a nose dive in prices if the multitude of lawsuits against them are lost, should be a while before that can happen though so to me ram would be a good bet as prices are relatively stable and technology advancements are limited.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
lawsuits against intel? wow, I have not been paying attention to the news enuf...

regardless, the ram would be the better way to go. boosting the fsb speed will help everything, since basically all the data has to move through it. making that channel as wide and fast as you can will go far.

prices on processors will continue to fall, as they always do. so if you know you will upgrade the processor sometime in the future, probably want to go for the dual channel PC3200 ram kit. it will run at 533Mhz now (with your current processor), then when you upgrade the cpu, you are already set, it will run at the full 800Mhz.

check the approved ram from your mobo's website, which will list the quality brands that we suggest as well- corsair, crucial, OCZ, kingston, etc.

any other questions, feel free to ask. and let us know how it goes!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Cant believe you missed that piece of news the muscles from brussels guys from the EU bust down the european intel facilities doors last week, you would think they were smugglin drugs.