Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe is eating my CPU

• Please log in to reply

KevinA

KevinA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Pentium 4 2.80GHz processor and 768 MHz of RAM. It runs XP home edition with SP 2.

I have to reboot almost every hour to keep system speed up while using the system.

When I look in the Task Manager, I see explorer.exe using anywhere between 92% and 99% of the CPU. Is there any way to fix this? :tazz:

I'd appreciate any help.

Edited by KevinA, 16 July 2005 - 02:34 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Does explorer.exe start using resources as soon as you start your computer? What I mean is this... if you start your computer, and run nothing, and just monitor explorer.exe in the task manager, does it start using up your resources immediately.

If it does, then you probably have some kind of spyware going on.

makai

Edited by makai, 16 July 2005 - 03:05 AM.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By removing this process the graphical interface for Windows will disappear.

Note: explorer.exe is also registered as a process which is the w32.Codered and the w32.mydoom.b@mm viruses. These viruses are distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open it’s hostile attachment. The worms have their own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases these worms can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

If explorer.exe starts using more and more RAM while you do nothing, please post a Hijackthis log HERE

Thanks,

Emery

KevinA

KevinA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Emery, I don't see it using RAM, but it takes over CPU.

Makai, I'll have to reboot and watch to see how long it takes to start using resources. It may be a day or two - I've been at work for over 16 hours working on an issue here. Don't know when I'll be able to go home...