Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dr Watson Error Message

• Please log in to reply

watson2206

watson2206

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just upgraded my computer from Windows 98/SE to Windows XP home edition. To this point, everything else seems to work properly until i try to right click on the desktop so as to change my screen resolution ect. I have found a way to fix the resolution without right clicking the desktop, but obviously i need to fix the problem at hand so here it is:

When I right-click on my desktop, an error message comes up and reads:
DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
From there the computer is unresponsive. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del I can close the process that is related to DrWatson and my computer goes back to normal.

I went ahead and re-installed XP again through the repair feature. As well as some of the other posts relating to DrWatson and his fabulous debugger. None worked. Sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can u post the last entry of ur DrWatson log.

watson2206

watson2206

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
"Start Dr. Watson 1.00b - Fri Jul 15 18:48:28 2005
Stop Dr. Watson 1.00b - Fri Jul 15 18:49:14 2005"
-thats the extent of the DrWatson Log

When windows asks to send an error report it sends the following;
"Error Report Contents:
C:\DOCUME~1\AJWATS~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb34b.dir00\drwtsn32.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\AJWATS~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1adb.dir00\appcompat.txt"

Is that what you needed? Or do you need other information?

Thanks for the quick response and just in general for the service you all provide!

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
NO, I just wanted the contents of the main log file.
U said u just installed XP.
Have finished installing ur Video card drivers, or are u using the standard ones from the XP CD.

Edited by darth_ash, 15 July 2005 - 09:14 PM.

watson2206

watson2206

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So I installed the nvidia driver, (didnt know it had been over written) and my problems are solved!

Thanks alot!

Zer0 is SLiM

Zer0 is SLiM

• Pip
  • 1 posts
im having a quite similar problem as "watson2206" was having.

i just recently (less than a week ago) bought a Gateway GT5064 PC. It came with windows xp media center on it, and all the graphics and sound cards are the same ones that came with it. The only thing i have added is a extra network adapter PCI card, and a Pinnacle Studio AV/DV capture card (also PCI).

like the first poster, randomly my computer will say
"DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

From there the computer is unresponsive. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del I can close the process that is related to DrWatson and my computer goes back to normal.

But unlike the first poster, after the first windows error message saying it needs to close Dr. Watson, mine has a second error message saying it needs to close explorer.exe (sometimes it closes it, sometimes it just sits there).

if anyone could PLEASE help me, itd be greatly appreciated.

also, if you want to help me over AIM, my screen name is Zer0 EteRn4L.

thanks a bunch

edit: if anyone could actually tell me what DrWatson Postmortem Debugger actually does, that would be some usefull information..thx

Edited by Zer0 is SLiM, 09 April 2006 - 02:26 PM.