Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

6 years gone

• Please log in to reply

clef.fr

clef.fr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Cause:
It's summer now and my room gets really hot, maybe 100 degrees F hot. This also means my computer gets very hot too. I foolishly left my harddrive on the metal cd drive bay where it contacts metal on the bottom instead of the hard drive bay where it only contacts metal from the sides. I think this may have made the hd malfunction.

Problem:
Anyways, all my 6 years of musical composition and game design are gone with little or no backups of some files.

My computer is divided into 6 partitions, C through H.
For some weird reason, drives C and F work while all the
other drives report to not be formatted yet.

I downloaded a data recovery program and it succesffully
found most of the so-called "unformatted" files, also finding
some gibberish files.

But this program is a file-by-file recovery system and a 3 mb file
takes 10 minutes to recover, and each recovery means a lost
of another hidden file (noting all 6 partitions equal 300gb).

The Question:
Is there a program that lets me just mark those "unformatted" drives
as already formatted without telling stupid windows to format them,
and thereby losing all the orginal names and headers?

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
No, i dont think thats possible.
Which Recovery Software are U using anyways

clef.fr

clef.fr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
pc inspector file recovery. It's a free utility that works wonders...
if its just a file youre looking for. Im looking for a whole partition

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like it might be a wise idea to consult a professional file recovery company. And next go round get one or two external hard drives to back up your files. You can keep them turned off when not used for backing up, and even unplugged to protect them from power surges. They are much better than internal drives for that purpose because what destroys the main drive may also destroy a slave drive.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If the drive can spin up, and windows can at least recognize the partitions, there may be a program that can help you. You will need another drive to move data to.

BartPE is a program that runs off a CD that you burn. It will boot your computer, and allow access to the hard drive information.

You would then move your data onto another drive. Please ensure the drive you are moving the data to can be recognized by windows so later you can access the data.

Visit the Bartpe page and read the information. The program was written specifically for this kind of data recovery scenario... and it's free!

Here is the link... http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

good luck,
makai

Edited by makai, 16 July 2005 - 02:27 AM.