Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't reformat my hardrive

• Please log in to reply

I rob petstorez

I rob petstorez

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, so today my computer crashed and I had to reformat the hardrive and reinstall XP.

However, the reformating takes place but when it starts installing from the Windows XP CD-ROM it gets halfway then I get error messages

Please help :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Can you tell us anything about the error messages? Your computer may crash for any number of reasons not directly related to the hard drive, such as overheating of the CPU caused by dust on the cooling surfaces, malware, etc.. What made you think that Windows needed to be reinstalled, and why do you think it crashed? Sorry abaout the "twenty questions" approach but anyone who helps needs something to go on.

I rob petstorez

I rob petstorez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, well I got the Stop 0x00000050 message and I tried to do what it said on this site but it didn't work. So then I called Dell, we tried everything, system restore, safe mode, etc etc. So finally they said I had to reformat my hardrive and re-install XP. The hardrive remorts, then the XP starts to install off the CD-ROM. It gets to 70% then says file "dmboot.sys" cannot be copied. Then is says...

"The file Setup on your hardrive is not a valid image of Windows XP. If you are installing from a CD (Which I am) there may be a problem with the CD"

And its okay about the "20 questions" :tazz:

Thanks

-Rob-

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Tyger makes a good point. Whatever prompted you to take the "sledgehammer" approach to XP might be the problem with the reinstall/reformat whatever you are doing. More detail, please, and we will try to help.

Johanna

I rob petstorez

I rob petstorez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think I had a virus on my computer, because my Mcafee expired and I was without it for two weeks. I just got Mcafee up and running last night and today my computer didn't work.
It could've been the Critical Windows Update I kept ignoring, I don't know

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Pls.,mention the error messages.
Perhaps, u have bad sectors on ur HDD.

I rob petstorez

I rob petstorez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The error message was Stop 0x00000050 and I checked my hardrive mulitple times and the sectors are fine.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Have recently installed any new hardware?
If not, it might be a memory error.
Download memtest86.
U can download and burn the bootable ISO from ur friends computer.
Then run the memory test on ur PC.

Edited by darth_ash, 15 July 2005 - 09:24 PM.

I rob petstorez

I rob petstorez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
K I'll try that now...

Thanks

Edited by I rob petstorez, 15 July 2005 - 09:25 PM.

I rob petstorez

I rob petstorez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
My memory is fine

So that didn't work

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

-Rob-

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to take a close look at the CD, it says the file "can't be copied" but doesn't tell why. One more thing, you might need to check the laser lens in your CD ROM drive. It's also possible that there might be something on the hard drive that doesn't let you copy over it so the right file can't be put there. When it says your hard drive "isn't a valid image" it means that it copies an image file (.iso) from the CD to the hard drive and the process isn't going correctly. If the drive is a Maxtor (mostly what Dell uses) you can download PowerMax to a floppy from the Maxtor site

www.maxtor.com

and use it to check the drive and to write it to zeros to completely remove anything that might cause problems. If cleaning of the CD doesn't work and writing to zeros doesn't work then you likely need a new hard drive.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Ok, this may sound like a wild shot.
But i was replyin in another thread.
And he also had Stop 0x00000050 during setup. It turned out he had a faulty Video Card.
Can u get try another Video Card in ur system and try running setup.

P.S: Dont 4get to see the link. Might help U.