Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Case Fans

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
What cause's the fan to be noisey apart from dust?

Is there any way to protect the fans from getting dust on the fans?

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Oddly, they've started making fan filters...
Like mini AC filters...
Just Google "fan filters" and you'll come up with a ton of em...

As for what else can cause them to be noisey...

Operating above the speed they were built for.
Being poorly built.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I just checked the fan that is making the noise and it is defantly cause of dust.... grrrrr [bleep] dust.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Also cables. *Hides behind desk from flurry of floppy discs thrown at me

Umm, I had a problem with a case fan once. Don't know if it would be common.
The fan wasn't screwed in very well and/or it just came loose over time through getting moved around or whatever. But one day I was changing parts on my computer and noticed that it was a little loose. So I tightened it.
You can also try cleaning the dust out of the fan. PLEASE REMOVE THE FAN FROM YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE TRYING THIS though. Maybe that will help.

Pretty much though, there isn't too much you can do. Because when you have something that rotates on its ball-bearing so much, it's bound to wear down sooner or later. And because some people just recycle their cases, this compounds the issue.
If it weren't highly delicate circuitry and the likes, you could just grease it and that would sort of solve the problem. but once again, PLEASE DON"T DO THAT EITHER on a computer at least.

Buy new case, or buy new fans.

I have a problem with my Power supply fan where the fan doesn't like to run except when the power supply is very hot. And even then, I usually have to manually start the fan going for it to go. When I start my computer, it whirs really loud and very slow. This isn't a problem to me really. I keep my computer room extremely cold plus, I just leave case off [Not the best thing to do, but at least I don't live in dusty New Mexico ] LOL. . BTW, this is not a problem anybody has to post for, unless of course other people have had this exact same problem and there is an apparent solution to this other than buying a new power supply. I bought a new power supply and it didn't work(new, did I mention new). And then I bought another power supply (new as well) and it didn't work either. So, I figured my 5 year old power supply worked JUST FINE[considering it worked. did I mention it was OLD. Oh well, that's life for you]

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Threaten it with a hammer... that works... sometimes... but then you have to follow through, or the next one won't believe you...

Get a new fan, if dust's a major problem, get some filters, or buy some vent filters from your local store and cut squares out to sandwich between the fan the the case.

I prefer my fans unfiltered, just tastes better...

Hmmm... think it's time to sleep... becoming incoherent, and must save that for the phones tomorrow at work...

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
:tazz: Where can I get fan filters in New Zealand?

Bazzrr

Bazzrr

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Google "pc fan filters" for NZ - several suppliers out there
Never used them, you would need to check that they wont overload your fans though, if they are close to the actual fan - will change the speed and loading of the fan

Fans tend to get noisy after dust has accumulated and the fans spindles/bearing wear away

I remove fans every 6 months or so and brush them off with clean paint brush