Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Cleanup Package"

• Please log in to reply

Heide264

Heide264

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, I've been reading around these forums for a while, and I wanted to say thanks in advance for all the help you guys have been giving. I was attracted via a google search on a mysterious "nail.exe" file and found my way here. I decided this would be a very good place to ask you opinions on a "cleanup package" for my friend.

My friend has an older computer, P3 with Windows 98 I'm pretty sure. He's had it for a couple years and its been hooked up to dial-up for family use. Nobody in their family is very "tech friendly", and his computer has sort-of umm degraded. I would like to avoid reformatting. So, I am going to burn a couple downloadable programs onto a CD, take the CD over, and run them. I was wondering if you had any opinions or suggestions for other programs to help me out. Also, in what order would you reccommend me running these programs?

I am thinking of the following programs...
-Cleanup!
-Ad-aware SE
-CWShredder
-Spybot S&D
-Ewido (Incase I need it)
-Hijack This
-Registry Mechanic

All of the programs were under you spyware forum sticky I beleive execpt for Registry Mechanic which I have expirience with and am very pleased with so far. I beleive he has McAfee (sorry for the bad spelling), but I'm not sure - I'll check on that when I get over there.

Thanks!

Edited by Heide264, 15 July 2005 - 11:19 PM.

Advertisements

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
First of all I just want to warn you it is dangerous to use HJT if you can't properly read the logs. I recommend you don't attempt these fixes and post a Hijackthis log on this forum so you can be assured that nothing will be damaged.
I'm assuming this is a one shot deal where you either fix it or they reformat. There's a low % chance that these programs will work without following the proper instructions.

Tips:
- Uninstall programs in safe mode
- A good idea to delete files and folders in safe mode as well.
- Never remove any HJT 010's (most likely will lose internet connection)

Coolweb/About:blank Fix (run in order)
Download about:buster by RubbeRDuckY Here.
Download CWShredder Here.
Download and install CleanUp! Here

Aurora Fix (run in order)
Ewido
Nailfix

Free Anti-Virus Software
AVG
TDS-3

Again you will probably have little success without the proper instructions.

Edited by St0rm, 16 July 2005 - 12:09 AM.

Heide264

Heide264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for your comments, I never even would have thought about using safe mode. I wasn't planning on practically using HJT, just having it there for a backup if he ever has problems. It's not really a one shot deal, I just would like to clean it up as much as possible and get the system running as if it were new.

I don't think he has any major spyware bugs, I'm betting just a bunch of smaller ones.

I forgot to ask originally, but are any of the programs listed not compatible with Windows 98?

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
They all are compatible. HJT is an important tool that you need for minor spyware as well. If you really want to help him, tell him to post a HJT log now, so when you get over, you can perform the fixes for him.

Here's a list of programs to uninstall to go along with your tools.

180 Search Assistant
180Solutions
Active alert
Ad Service
allexa toolbar
BarginBuddy
Bullseye Networks
cosmi
EasySearchBar
Elite Sidebar
Elite Toolbar
Gator / Gain
HuntBar
Internet Optimizer
ISTSvc
mysearch
myway searchbar
NavExcel Search Toolbar
NavHelper
ncase
NewdotNet
Oemji Toolbar
Preview AdService
Sidefind
SideSearch
Slotchbar
Software Update Manager
VBouncer
viewpoint
Viewpoint Media Player
Web Rebates
Webhancer
WildTangent
WinTools
WSEM Update

Edited by St0rm, 16 July 2005 - 02:35 AM.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Tune-Up Utilities It's a great optimizing program. TuneUp Utilities 2004 optimizes the performance of your computer, solves problems and helps you to customize your system to suit your needs.

Emery

Heide264

Heide264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK, Thanks! I'll just run a Registry mechanic, a CleanUp!, and an Ad-aware scan. Then post a HJT log. I can always run over again, it's only 5 minutes down the road.

Thanks for all your help again!

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi and welcome
If in fact he is running 98, Ewido will do you no good, Will only run on 2k and XP

I would take the adivse of posting a HJT log from his computer,

Heide264

Heide264

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks, I will make sure to do that. Would I post it under the Malware forum? Also, should I run CleanUp!, Registry Mechanic, and an Ad-aware scan first or afterwards? I really have no expirience with this so your advice is appreciated.

Thanks for all your time so far!

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I would run ad-aware first and delete whatever it says is bad, then use spybot and delete anything it says is bad, it will only quarantine these so if anything good is deleted then it can be brought back. Is there any virus protection on there, cos if not there could be a whole host of stuff on there, it takes on average 10 seconds for a pc to get infected from hook up to the internet. So if no virus protection get avg, and get the trojan sacn as well, but just do the scan to see if there are any trojans if there are get rid of it using the tool, if not just delete the tool, as I guess your friend won't have much room on the HD.

All can be found http://www.geekstogo...hp?showtopic=38

hope this helps.

cheers woody