Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SAFE MODE

• Please log in to reply

saratoddla

saratoddla

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Let me start at the beginning... I posted here a few days ago about how my windows explorer was not loading...how I only got wallpaper...no icons...no start menu. Anyhow...I never really resolved that so I decided to do a windows xp repair/reinstall. I went into safe mode and started the download...everything was great until a popup said that windows could not finish setup/install while in safe mode...computer to reboot. (ok so those weren't the EXACT words but you get it). So the computer started with a CD-Rom Boot and scanned files and everything was going perfect...until it needed to be rebooted again. When it got to the part where it said to press Enter to start from the CD rom it just repeated what it had been doing...scanning my files...it must have done the same thing about 4 times (as I kept rebooting). So instead of pressing ENTER to boot from the CD I decided to just let it go and start normally...but it kept starting in Safe Mode and I would get the same error (about windows could not finish installing while in safe mode). How do I get out of safe mode?! I hit DEL when the computer would start up and changed the boot settings but it kept going back to safe mode or to the CD boot (and repeating itself)...

I hope this makes sense! I just want out of safe mode and to finish reinstalling windows xp. Right now I am on my old computer that is slower than a snail and I can't stand it. I'm missing my other computer. :tazz: Please help!

p.s....even when the CD rom isn't in the drive it does the same thing...both safe mode and/or booting from the CD... It just keeps wanting to set up windows and I can't cancel the installation...

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

How do I get out of safe mode?

From Windows Safe Mode click Start / Shutdown and restart the computer. This should start the computer automatically back into Normal Mode.

Note: Many users believe that they are still in safe mode because the colors or video may not look correct. Unless in the corners of the screen it says "Safe Mode", you are not in safe mode. For information on how to setup your video card resolution, see document CH000190.

If you are rebooting the computer and it is rebooting back into Safe Mode (it does say "Safe Mode" in each of the corners), it is likely another problem exists with Windows preventing it from loading into Normal Windows. We recommend you see our basic trouble shooting section for additional ideas that may help to resolve your issue.

http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm

saratoddla

saratoddla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help...but when I am in Safe Mode it doesn't show my start menu (or icons...if it's supposed to)... it automatically restarts after the pop up tells me it's going to reboot. I cant even press c+a+d.

I will try the F8 to see if that works (i've tried before...but now I know I might have to press it continuously to get it to work). Hopefully that will bring me to the part where I can select which mode to start in... I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

saratoddla

saratoddla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help...but when I am in Safe Mode it doesn't show my start menu (or icons...if it's supposed to)... it automatically restarts after the pop up tells me it's going to reboot. I cant even press c+a+d.

I will try the F8 to see if that works (i've tried before...but now I know I might have to press it continuously to get it to work). Hopefully that will bring me to the part where I can select which mode to start in... I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.