Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO SOUND ON SYSTEM!

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi everyone

I have just recently gotten through running a fix on my system in the malware forum with HJT

The last step was to Defrag my system, which I did today. Now all of a sudden my system is trying to tell me that it no longer has a voice!

I am able to use an online dictionary that has a pronunciation feature that speaks the words for you to hear, with no apparent problem.

However, my internet answering machine tells me that it can't access the sound device because another application is hogging it up, and that I should "Exit" any programs that are using my sound device.

Well, I do not have any other programs running, that I know of, that require the use of any sound device.

I tried to start Win amp, just to see if it would play. It would not and gave me a really long error message about reseting things. Then it hung when I tried to exit out of it.

I know that something has gotten reset in my system, however I do not know what it is, or where to look to reset it.

I did START> control panel>> sounds and audio devices = on the volume tab it says No Audio Devices.

I know that is not correct as I had been having no problem with sound before I did the defrag.

Can anyone tell me where to look to reset this thing so that the sound will work again. I have win XP with SP 2 installed, and I do not know a darnd thing about that sound device, where ever it is.

Thanks Wendy

Advertisements

Javadude

Javadude

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
If you can make some back-ups on a disc etc and then see if you can then restore the computer!!

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks javadude, Hum? I have no idea how to do that, and I have no idea what I would have to be backing up.

Thanks, Wendy

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have fixed my problem, this thread may now be closed. Wendy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
And what did you do that others might benefit from it?

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Tyger, :tazz: Actually I have spoken way too soon it seems. I had gotten into device manager, found a yellow "?" next to something that looked sound related, and started fooling around with the right click thing, then clicked on update drivers, "POOF" things happened and for several logon/off's I had microsofts sounds again.

I just figured out how to keep QuickTime from loading itself at startup, and I am wondering if it is getting even with me for not letting it load when windows starts.

I have tested several .wav files and I get an error message saying they won't play because my sound card might be in use by another program, but I don't have anything on that requires sound.

I use an online dictionary that has a pronunciation feature and that still has sound. RATS!! ;)

Got any suggestions? Wendy