Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network new home

• Please log in to reply

axast

axast

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We just bought a new house. Both my husband and I work from home on our desktops. But we don't like being in the same room and working. We want to hook up to the internet using comcast cable internet thw wired way....not wireless. Since we don't want a physical cable on the carpet going from room to room, what is our alternative. Someone suggested running a Cat5 cable through attic into the cable wall plates? Now although both of us are newbie to this networking stuff? Is this alternative good? Is there any other good solution. Also if Cat5 is the route, how do we go about it. Who does it...an electrician. We live in ATlanta metro area. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
That sounds like a good way to me, unless you want to run the cable under your house. The attic is alot easier. I used to do electrician work and we used to run CAT5 for customers. I believe that's who you would call. If they don't do it then I'm not sure, maybe the cable company will?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Geek3point0

Geek3point0

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Unless you are good at fishing walls the addick can be a pain in the butt especialy with the way they build new houses I user to install networks post construction and have special tools that make life easy.. http://www.ehow.com/...es-through.html has a basic run through of fishing wires. the alternitive in a wired network is to hire a pro to come drop the wires and put the ends on wich can cost around 85 an outlet. if you are sharing internet you will want a router/switch as well... now for cheap and easy for the cost of one drop you can get 2 usb or pci wireless adapters for your computers then you will need a router/switch anyway tyo get one wirh wireless cost sometimes less than getting one without...... option 3 if you have phonelines in each room you can use a hpna technoligy like those built by www.2wire.com these are availible for dsl and cable and use a spair pair of the 4 you have running in your residential telco loop........

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

We want to hook up to the internet using comcast cable internet thw wired way....not wireless

Why don't you want wireless?

Robertt253

Robertt253

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
With The low cost of wireless these days, I would suggest that you forget the cableing and go wireless, you can even check out Ebay for used equipment that works great. A lot of people have upraded to G and are selling their B products real cheap. You could get both your desk tops going wirless for under 100.00 bucks. And then if you ever wanted to add a laptop the network would be in place.

Robert