Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd-writer won't work

• Please log in to reply

NufeyBear

NufeyBear

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a compaq presario 5000 series, cd-writer and dvd rom. Pentium 4.

I opened cd writer tray to clean with a compressed air duster, which I blew into the cd=tray. My problem then was that the cd tray would not stay shut. Only if i pushed and held it, would it then stay shut. Worse than that, now does not read any cd's I insert, or let me save pics, burn music to cd-r etc.

I did the troubleshoot on my pc, no help.......says device is working properly.

I then cleaned it again, with a q-tip, now my cd-tray will close without me holding it in place. But still no joy with using the cd-writer.

I tried using windows media player to burn some music, said that nothing on my blank cd, converted my music, but then would not burn. Closed disc at 14% of my first song. Either I needed to clean, slow burn or try another brand of cd-r, which i did, still did not work. I then inserted another blank (new) cd-r. Message came up, that CD was in use.

What have I done? Can this be fixed? If so how? If not, and I have broken my cd-writer, is there anyway to use my dvd rom as the cd-writer......this is driving me crazy.

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Have you tried using a lens cleaning disc? Sometimes run problems can be fixed by using the special discs that have small bristles to clear the lens.

Can you play CD's and just not burn them, or is the whole thing not working? If you cannot play or burn I'd say it's about time for a new CD-R. You can get them pretty cheap now. I never was one for taking them apart to fix since they're so cheap. I know some people try, but it's not worth it to me.

Is your DVD player a DVD-R? If it is then you can burn CD's...if it's just a DVD Rom then you won't be able to.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You clean a cd drive with a cd drive cleaning kit, not compressed air thats for inside your system. The insides of cd writers are made up of delicate optics and the force from a burst of compressed air can break them if they are poorer quality or older, even good ones break easily.
You might have knocked some of the cogs loose check they are on there spindles and nothing is bent inside.

NufeyBear

NufeyBear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you both for the replies, much appreciated. My dvd is not a dvd-r. I will buy a lens kit and try that.....i was really having a stupid day...lesson learned.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I know all about those they begin in the morning when you put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge.

NufeyBear

NufeyBear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Warriorscot

Is this a fellow Scot helping me out?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Tis indeed, my rather clever name gives the game away i am a Scot named Scott.

NufeyBear

NufeyBear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Great, a Scot named Scott....:tazz:

Wasn't name that gave it away to me alas, think my stupid days are not over, in fact Iknow they are not.....must be this american air that goes straight to my head.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah to much car fumes and filtered water, and the complete lack of hills. When ever im in the states i cant get rid of the stupid days, its to hot to think, and the accent is enough to make you doo lally and the constant question when you go out to a restraunt or shop or supermarket even on the street: "So are you guys english or sunthin?" and "Can you say that again you are talking to fast".

NufeyBear

NufeyBear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: you got that right.......