Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing file

• Please log in to reply

sambo135

sambo135

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
hello,
i networked my computer and my sister computer together thru a dsl modem/router i connect thru usb while she connect thru lan. the problem is me viewing her files, i can't access her computer thr my one bu she can. how do i solve this problem? i ping the two computer and they work fine. when i go to view network computers i get an error like
(sister computer name) is not acceble. U might not have permission to use the network resource....... and then access denied.
can anyone help? thanks

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Check the security settings, if you are running a firewall take a look at the incoming events on her machine as you try and access her computer. Also, make sure she is set-up to share with you correctly.

sambo135

sambo135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hm... i turned the ffirewall (SP2) one off and i don't htink there is any other security issues... i dunno, how do i check the incoming events?
Thanks

Anbo

Anbo

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Did you set up the two computers to share a workgroup? That;'s what I have in my house. This computer is in the 4 port switch on my wireless router, while my sister connects wirelessly with her laptop. I went into "My Network Places" and set up a workgroup by clicking "Set up a home or small office network" and then give the two computers the same workgroup name. That should work. But, with workgroups, you have to go into my network places and go to "shared docs on (YOUR SISTER'S COMPUTER'S NAME)"

But, before you can access the file on shared docs, have your sister put whatever you need/want in that folder first.

Hope that helps.

sambo135

sambo135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
hm.. i done that, i did the set up network thing, and they have the same workgourp name, she has a share folder on her computer that is setted on share, and like i said before she can access my files while i can't .

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Chances are you're trying to access files that haven't been completely shared.

For example: You can share the whole c:, but when someone navigates to Documents and Settings > So and So's Documents, it will give an error, saying you don't have permission. You'd then need to share that folder individually. I haven't done much research on why this happens (inheriting permissions?) or if there's a way to disable it, but this is a way to workaround it that works.