Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help i'm stuck in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
i am on windows me and i just started up my computer and it was in safe safemode. when ever i try to use system restore or try some other meathod of fixing it says windows must restart after i just restarted it! and if i restart it normally it just cmes up to a screen that gives you a choice to start in a number of differnt modes ,but if you choose any beside safe mode it goes back to the previous screen (my internet and cd, sound drives don't work. i do have a computer i can use.)

Advertisements

Javadude

Javadude

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Can you restore your windows from the start-up menu?

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
i'm not sure what you mean

nicolaluna

nicolaluna

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi josiah and javadude,

did you ever figure this out because i think i am also stuck in safe mode, and i never prompted it, so i don't know how to get out. i don't know what you meant by restore windows from startup, either....

my stuck-ness did not come about exactly the same way but i am still stuck!!!

thank you!

nicole

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
okay what i did is called a system restor where it erases your hard drives and reanstalles windows ,you do this with the system restore cds or dvds that came with your computer (some computers dont come with the discs which is just a way on the companies part to make more money because you have to rebuy windows for 200 dollars) now on dell you have to pay $10 extra

good luck and if you need help i've gone thrugh this process about 6 times

vikas.nv

vikas.nv

• Pip
  • 5 posts
restart computer in dos mode

try this command:
scanreg /restore

Javadude

Javadude

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Done now, sorry for hassle!

Craig S

Craig S

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have old notes that put a w in scanreg to net scanregw /restore. Does anyone know when & why the w is used. "Without the w" must have worked or it would have been mentioned, so I'm curious. Thanks-