Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with internal modem

• Please log in to reply

Sparkgap

Sparkgap

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've recently reinstalled Win XP onto the SATA drives on my machine and now find that when using the internal dial-up modem (Motorola V90) I get the 633 modem in use or not configured properly message. It used to work ok on the hard drive and I vaguely remember about having to download a file/patch/??? last time. Something to do with XP being mainly configured towards broadband not dial-up.
At the moment the only way to get it to work is to uninstall the drivers then reinstall, which is fine but takes time, until I reboot next time then it's back to square 1.
Any ideas???

Advertisements

Sparkgap

Sparkgap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Latest developments: checked the system information (programs/accessories/system tools) both for when it was working (just after I reinstalled the drivers) and when it wasn't (after a reboot). Surprise! the results were different with the 'failure' information showing several items (baud rate, buffer size etc) as 'not available'. Also the order of stuff in the 'failure' info listed the modem stuff first while that in the 'working' info had the COM1 stuff first.
Now, tentative guess, could it be that the failure is due to the modem drivers being loaded first then clashing with the COM1 drivers so nothing works? If so how do I set the order of loading?
Rather than uninstall and reload the drivers, I tried disabling the modem, rebooting then enabling the modem again. Success! Now, how do I get the machine to do this automatically?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I remember reading awhile back about a similar problem. Aparently there is a timing issue between some modems and some phone lines. The modem tries to dial out before the line is ready. If I recall the person put one or two commas before the number. This slowed the modem down long enough for the two to sync together. Probably a long shot but it would only take you a minute to try it.....

Sparkgap

Sparkgap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Unfortunately Macten's suggestion did not work. It's not a dialling problem but a conflict inside the machine which busies out the modem, possibly with the drivers. Anyway, now got things working by removing the PCI modem card and connecting ye olde external modem to COM1. Providing it's switched on when I boot up it works. It was almost getting to the stage of uninstalling XP and going back to Win98!!! Oh for the good old days when I had a Mac! :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
;) Do what I did, jsut get a new modem ;)

I am not being checky eaither.. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324760

MS says this occurs when you have an incompatible driver, possible a palm pilot....

see above

Sparkgap

Sparkgap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Re: palm pilot s/w conflict. Yes, read that as well, not that I've got any PP software installed or anything else. Anyway, working fine with ancient external modem (XP even had the necessary drivers preinstalled so I didn't have to look out the disk). Have a couple of other thoughts about the driver clash problem so might try refitting the PCI modem and having another go. If that fails I've still got this setup unless XP throws another wobbler. :tazz: