Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet explorer script error

• Please log in to reply

gbscuba

gbscuba

• Pip
  • 4 posts
when I start up my computer I get the following error message.

Line 93
Char: 2
Error: permission denied
Code 0
URL res://C:\PROG~1NORTON~1NORTON~1\cfgwiz.exe/cfgWizRoadmap.htm
Internet Explorer Script Error

I have no clue what this means. It asks me if I'd like to continue and I click "yes".

I have tried the microsoft help site, but I am not very computer savy, so most of the explanations are confusing, or I don't get the same options they tell me to try.

Please help.

Advertisements

robwgreen

robwgreen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Do you have the Norton program on disk? If so I would try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. The official resolution is below. You could try downloading and installing the latest version of Internet Explorer from microsofts website if you don't already have it to see if that works. Or you may uninstall Internet Explorer, restart your computer to see if that worked before you reinstall IE (or uninstall IE and install Firefox!).

Download and install the latest version of Microsoft® Internet Explorer. If this does not resolve the issue, use the following steps.

Remove NAV. If NAV is installed as part of Norton Internet Security (NIS), then remove NIS.

Delete the NAV and virus definitions folders.

After the computer restarts, on the Start menu, click My Computer.
In the My Computer window, double-click Local Drive (C:).
In the Local Disk C: window, double-click the Program Files folder.
Note: If a These files are hidden window opens, click Show the contents of this folder.

In the Program Files window, double-click Common Files, Symantec Shared, and then click the VirusDefs folder.
On the File menu, click Delete.
In the Confirm Folder Delete dialog box, click Yes.
In the Program Files window, click the Norton AntiVirus or Norton Internet Security folder (depending on which program is installed).
On the File menu, click Delete.
In the Confirm Folder Delete dialog box, click Yes.
Note: If Norton AntiVirus is installed to a different folder, delete that folder instead.

In the My Computer window, on the File menu, click Close.

Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\SharedDefs registry entry.

Editing the Windows registry can cause unpredictable results. It can cause the operating system to be inoperable. Back up the registry first.

On the Start menu, click Run.
In the Run dialog box, type: Regedit. Click OK.
In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, My Computer is selected.
In the Registry Editor window, click Registry, and then click Export Registry File in the drop-down list.
In the Export Registry File dialog box, in the Save in list, click drive C.
In the Export Registry File dialog box, in the File name text box, type: registry.reg.
In the Export Registry File dialog box, verify that All below Export range is selected.
In the Export Registry File dialog box, click Save. The Export Registry File dialog box closes automatically.

In the Registry Editor window, click the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Click the plus sign (+) next to SOFTWARE.
Click the plus sign (+)next to the Symantec folder.
Click the SharedDefs folder, click Edit, and then click Delete.
In the Confirm Key Delete dialog box, click Yes.
Close Regedit and restart the computer.

In Windows® 98, Windows Me, or Windows XP, use MSConfig to temporarily disable all startup items. After Norton AntiVirus or Norton Internet Security is reinstalled in step 6, re-enable the startup items in MSConfig.
Windows 98
Windows Me
Windows XP

Reinstall NAV or NIS.

gbscuba

gbscuba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I tried it and it worked.