Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple Form Script Needed

• Please log in to reply

TheRelief

TheRelief

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I need a simple CGI or other customizable script for a form I'm setting up in Dreamweaver. The form is a survey of sorts that collects responses to 8 questions and then the responder's name, biz name and email.

I've never set up a form in Dreamweaver before hence my stupid question. I've only ever done it in FrontPage, which makes it very easy.

Thanks in advance for any help or direction you can provide!

Advertisements

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
I recommend PHP over CGI...

Survey scripts:
...:::..::..:.::.:::...::....

...::..::..:::..:.:.:...:::...

Or just customize an e-mail form:

..:::...:.:.:.:.::...:::....

If you choose to customize that specific e-mail form, let me know. I'll give you the steps to removing the coded script that says "Free Script Provided By Max Contact etc..." that is sent at the bottom of the e-mail automatically sent to the visitor after filling out the form (survey, in your case).

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Oh, man...I am a total idiot with this. I am not figuring out any of these AT ALL. Why on earth can't Dreamweaver have forms script auto-generated like FP? I had no idea that forms would be so difficult to do on Dreamweaver.

Do you happen to have any other resources that are much more intelligible (i.e., moronically simple) to the non-coder? I'm working on a volunteer project, otherwise I would just hire this part out. I'm totally in a bind on this one.

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Does this help?

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
That one is somewhat easier to follow. I'm still struggling through the instructions and I'm stuck here right now:

6. Add the necessary form fields - the "recipient field" is the only form field that you must have in your form, for formmail.php to work correctly.

This form field allows you to specify where you want your form results to be mailed. Most likely you will want to configure this option as a hidden form field with a value equal to that of your e-mail address.

<input type=hidden name="recipient" value="[email protected]">

Where exactly is this supposed to go - in the form itself or in the formmail.php doc? It sounds like it's supposed to go in the form, but when I try to do that, it ends up showing on the page. I don't know where in the code to insert it.

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Hmm..I believe they have it set up like this:

<html> <head> <title>Form Mail</title> </head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000"> <form name="form1" method="post" action="http://ihost-website.../formmail.php">

<input type=hidden name="recipient" value="[email protected]">

<input type=hidden name="subject" value="Form Mail Results">

<input type=hidden name="required" value="fullname,email">

<input type=hidden name="redirect" value="http://www.ihost-web.../thankyou.htm">

Name<br><input type=text name="fullname"><br>

Email<br> <input type=text name="email"><br>

<br> Comments<br> <textarea name="comments"></textarea> <br>

<br> <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">

</form>

</body> </html>

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for responding.

Let me clarify my question - that part you highlighted, does that go in the form (the one on the web page) or does it go somewhere in the .php file?

The instructions said it the form wouldn't work unless that was in there, but when I put it in the form on the web page (in the code) and it didn't like that, so now I'm back to being completely lost. (Hope I'm explaining this clearly).

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Okay, let me back up...

I think I got that recipient thing figured out. So I thought I had everything installed according to the instructions, but when I tested the form, I get this message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: () in /home/vanetwor/public_html/formmail.php on line 182

Do you (or anyone) know what this means and what I need to add or change?

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Could you zip everything you have (form related) into a folder and I'll take a look at it?

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
make sure your host supports cgi scripts

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Its .php, but yeah I was assuming it did, does it "TheRelief"?

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
[[settled in PM's]]

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes...I've been meaning to put a final note in here letting everyone know I how much I appreciate their assistance. I apologize for my delay - no excuse.

And thank you again SSONE for your especial help in solving this problem!