Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
:tazz: My keyboard came with a bunch of buttons on the top of it, seprate from the regular ones. These keys were meant for shorcut buttons such as sleep mode, help, print, and camera. Then it has internet buttons for shopping, sports, finace, search, chat, email, and connet. And lastly buttons to stop play skip track, eject cd, and volume buttons. Now oddly none of these buttons have worked except for the volume buttons since the first day it was set up about 4 years ago. I'm not using them or anything but I was wondering if anyone knew how to turn them on or somethhing, becuase I'm kind of sad I can't use them! ;)

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Most likely you need to install special drivers to be able to use the hotkeys you are refering to. If you can tell me what type and model keyboard it is, I can help you find the drivers for it.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah keyboards like that need special drivers and software before additional keys will work. It should be downloaded from the keyboard manufacturers site. If it is a microsoft one you need the intellitype software.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
You need to set up the hot keys

go to

MY Computer > Control Panel> Open Keyboard

You should be on Properties & should have TAB for

Hot Keys . . . . . . . . .set these to your preference
On screen display . . . .pick & choose at your delight
Options. . . . . . . . . . . .your choice

If you do not see these tabs then you need to go device manager to select your driver/update

But I suspect that they are there . . . .you just never set them up

Jack123

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I got the keys to work now, but Im having a problem. The buttons work but everytime I push the internet ones, they open up AOL. I don't use AOL anymore, I have cable, but I can't get rid of AOL because my dad still uses it. HOw do I set it so the buttons open up Internet Explorer instead of AOL? :tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Internet Keyboard: HOT KEYS

1st of all; how did you get keyboard to function? & which key/s get you to the Internet:

Try this web page: http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?pid=021
or “Google:” Internet Keyboard Hot Keys Setup

Things to consider:
1- Does your dad use the same computer with the Internet keyboard?
2- Did he setup & use the keyboard – if you change it – what effect will it have on him?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

This can get kind of complicated . . .. I can give you the general scheme, but I do not do this enough to give you specific – step by step instructions. – I can muddle myself thru . . . . . .but it hard to lead someone else.

Basically, it is a combination of Keyboard Setup & Internet Options . . .. HINT/s:
“Record all present settings as they are:”. . . . . BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES . . . . & which ones you change so you can revert back to original settings . . . .and only make 1 change at a time . . . . & check operation of Hot Keys as you make a change.

Control Panel > Keyboard > HotKeys:

Click on Mail Key . . . . .see what is displayed probably has - AOL Mail ??? _ see what options you have in that window . . . This key if it has the “e-mail” that you subscribe to – such as AOL . . .it can dial up AOL if it has dial up privileges . . .if your Dad uses this keyboard . . this could be setup in such a way that by pressing this key . . . it would dial up AOL & go right to his mail box!! (or your’s)

Click on Search Key. . . .see which of the 2 options are set:
“Internet Browser Default Search Page” or “Custom Address” . . . .. You could use the custom Address option & use this key as Hot Key to the Internet by typing in address that you want, such as: http://www.google.com/
or wherever you want to start . . . . http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/

If you use “Internet Browser Default Search Page . . . You can change this in Internet Options in Control Panel
My guess it is setup for AOL. . . . if that is where you go when you press the Search key . . .

The other Internet Keys: Back – FWD –Stop – Refresh – Favorites (I believe)
are linked to the Web/Home Key which Microsoft has defaulted to MSN or Microsoft IE ??? Not sure if they work with all broswer . .. . Knowing Bill Gates. . . probably not>>>

This is just a broad stroke brush over the Hot Keys. . . .
Jack123

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I don't get any of those things. When I open up keyboard, I get a tab that says buttons. When you double click on the diffrent buttons, you get three boxes that open and you choose an option. The first one says choose a button capability, then it opens up to three choices. Complex remote page with label, simple local file with label, and default. The the next thing says, Display label. You just type in there what you want it to say on screen. And lastly it says address, which is the place it brings you. Those are the only options when you click on all of them. The only other thing would be global prefrences but that just lets you pick the display of tyhe words that appear on the screen when pushed. I just want to know how to make everything open up internet explorer rather than AOL.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Sorry - I read your original post too quickly . . . .misread some clues.

Is it a Microsoft Keyboard? Apparently not

But, how did you get the keys to work? and do they all work?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"I was wondering if anyone knew how to turn them on or somethhing, becuase I'm kind of sad I can't use them!"

How did you turn them on? You need a program to do this

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

"The first one says choose a button capability, then it opens up to three choices. Complex remote page with label, simple local file with label, and default. The the next thing says, Display label. You just type in there what you want it to say on screen. And lastly it says address, which is the place it brings you"

1- Complex remote page with label
2- Simple local file with label
3- Default

What is selected? 1 - 2 or 3

Address - What is the address? AOL related??

Again what did you do to get keys to function?
This appears to be the page that needs to be edited

It appears that you may have selected Internet Keyboard or updated driver & all the settings were default - I do not know what you did?

Does the Back - FWD - Stop - Refreh - Search - Favorites function?

Sorry again - (has it really been 4 years????????)
Jack123

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
It's an hp keyboard.

The only buttons it has is sleep, help center, hp center, print, and camera. Then the internet buttons are, shopping, sports, finance, connect, search, chat, and email. Then the others are stop, skip track, play, eject, volume, and mute.

I went to hp.com and searched for my computer and looked at the driver updates and there was a download for the keyboard I have, so I downloaded it, and all the buttons worked.

Pushing the internet ones worked on internet explorer at first, they would go to defaukt websites, so I went to change them and it wouldn't let me. SO I restarted my computer thinking that was it and I was right. Then I changed the websites of all the buttons to what I wanted them to be, without touching anything else. Then when they are pushed, they open up AOL.

Al the internet buttons are set to complex remote page with simple label, and the multemedia buttons are ste to simple local file with label. The display label is what the buttons on the keyboard are labeled. Connect, shopping, ect.

The addresses are just websites, comcast.net, goole.com, ect. nothing to do with AOL.

I dont care if the change effects my dad, he want mind as long as AOL isn't uninstalled.

And yes it has been 4-to 5 years.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: HP Internet Keyboard:
Date: July 18th – 2005

OK – You have all your “Internet Keys” set for the websites you want to go to, but when you press anyone of the keys your computer opens “AOL PROGRAM”. . . .waiting for Screen Name & Password ? (To be entered)
Or does IE (Internet Explorer) connect to: “AOL HOME WEB PAGE”

Is that the situation for all the “Internet Keys” - . . . including “Connect” - “E-Mail” - OR DO THEY ACT DIFFERENT.

Are you connected to CABLE or DSL .. . . where you are basically connected to the Internet all of the time?
How do you normally open a webpage?

Open “IE” Program: Click Start > Programs > “Internet Explorer” where does this take you?
Post this much back . . .just verifying Key reactions for now. . .
Jack123

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
The AOL program opens wanting for for screen name and password. That is the reaction for all the internet keys. I have Cable, and I'm always connected. I click on Internet explorer and it opens up to comcast.net.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Internet Keyboard “Hot Keys” – Settings
Date: July 20th – 2005

OK-It appears that you are close to getting – Keyboard – to function as you want. I think you have to configure the “Connect” Button. According to HP “Instructions”, this should be configured to your “Browser”. And it is defaulted to connect to your “Browser’s” Home page. This then, ties all the other “Internet Keys” to this Browser, which is apparently AOL. – which you need to change to IE -

So probably (?) – you can do this under “Internet Options” in “Control Panel” – Using the “Connections” TAB.

Do you have a keyboard manual for your keyboard? Did you download the “Instructions form HP”, when you downloaded the driver? Try this website & scroll down to your operating system . (This should be the “Printable Version” of “HP Internet Keyboard” – I don’t know if this your keyboard model – but if it is not, then Google your model: “Configure HP XYZ internet keyboard”

http://h10025.www1.h...07179_windowsxp

Another thing . . . there is a similar post in “Similar Threads at the bottom of Post Page:

"Keyboard doesn't work!" by: naught33

You can look at this post & compare notes & compare/share ideas . . . .
by making a post to share ideas

I believe that if you could do all this:
1- Find HP webpage
2- Locate the correct driver
3- download it
4- install it
5- find this Forum & post your question

Then I think you can finish the task – using these instructions. You are soooo close!!!

You have to configure the “Connect Key” Label it - & then “sync” it with “Internet Options”

Make it a FUN PROJECT – Bond with your father and do it together . . .

Show him what you are able to do!!!! If nothing else, he can cheer you on & give you confidence!

Good Luck
Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Sorry . .I gave you the wrong Similar Thread Post

Try : "Printer and other Hardware - Keyboard" by yauco
This poster is trying to change his broswer also...

Disregard the post : Keyboard doesn't work! by naught33
(does not apply)

Jack123