Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Faster PC

• Please log in to reply

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
ok, i need a program that can SPEED UP my pc forever. this isn't spyware/malware slowing down my pc dawgs, i read HJT log, scanned adaware, avg, spybot, cleanup all that and still my computer is slow. it's supposed to be a 1.7 ghz system but it feels like it's not even a 1.0 ghz.

any help or links will be appreciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Please list your computer specs.

makai

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
using windows xp home SP 2, 1.7 ghz system, 256mb ram, 32mb graphics card. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Is this a laptop?

makai

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Desktop pentium 4

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The most likely cause is you have too many processes running. If you do ctrl+alt+del, and check your task manager, how many processes are currently running? Note that task manager will not list "all" things running in the background.

For example, I set up my machines in "minimalist" style... which means I kill every single unnecessary task I can find. My task manager lists only 19 processes.

Processes can be started by almost any program you install. They can start from the Start menu/Startup folder, things in Services, msconfig start up, and the registy Run folders. Not to mention, all the monitors that also get installed by programs such as Real player, Quicktime, Media player, etc.

It takes some time to kill all these things, but, it can be done.

makai

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
i got 28 processes running on 2 user accounts. i have 4 accounts on the system though, and all of them are on at the same time every day. will it help if i logoff all the accounts and only running one?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

will it help if i logoff all the accounts and only running one?

Yes!

Why do you need to be "logged in" on all accounts at the same time?

makai

Edited by makai, 16 July 2005 - 01:47 PM.

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
thanks for the help brah. will run only one account from now on. i run 4 accounts because it's a small business here and everyone uses the same computers. we share. anyway, thanks man. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Brah??? You from Hawaii?

makai

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Also try Tune-up utilities. TuneUp Utilities 2004 optimizes the performance of your computer, solves problems and helps you to customize your system to suit your needs.

Emery

maree464

maree464

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How do you know what is an unnecessary task? I remember backwith windows 98 you could delete everything but 2 things explorer and 1 other thing and be ok. When playing a game that I might be in for a few hours I would like to kill pretty much all running applications that weren't needed. I have 31 running 2 under local service, 10 under my user name, 2 under network service, and 17 under system. I miss the windows 98 days when you could control -alt-delete and delete everything but 2.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Google the tasks you think are unnecessary and make sure they are.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I like Mike Lin's StartUp CPL
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
It puts a tab in your Control Panel to allow you to shut off any uneeded processes from the start up.

Another way you could increase the speed of the computer is some more memory. A P4 with only 256 is okay, 512 is better, a gig is good, if your mobo will support it. XP likes memory.

Johanna