Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can not Remove Norton Corporate

• Please log in to reply

bjfc

bjfc

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
I had a new computer built last August. Norton Corporate Edition was installed.
After a week or so antivirus would not update telling me I needed to reinstall the disk. I did not have the disk. I had been using PCCillin and had 10 months of updates left. I uninstalled the Norton Corporate Edition correctly but somehow
when I went to add and remove it still shows there. I have tried to remove it in the add and remove and it tells me I am missing a file NAVCE.MSI and something about C:/Windows/temp/$NAV$/
The computer will when I am trying to scan for adware, spyware, etc. ( I have
Spybot, Spyware Blaster, TDS, NoAdware, AdAware SE, and run them religiously.)
shut down and that shrilling noise comes on and I have to press the button on the tower for it to stop.
I believe I have some sort of conflict and I believe it has to have something to do with that Norton. Of Course, I could be way off but only because that happened when I got the computer originally when I was using Norton is why I think it is connected to that somehow
I would like to remove completely that Norton but do not know if I can or how I can.
If you have any suggestions and or advice I would appreciate it very much

Right now I also have that Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.C. Infection I followed all the instructions on running everything I have run TDI and all. I have removed the button from the task bar that kept telling me I had a virus but when I go to display, I still only have two tabs, the background and the other (forgot, just know there were four) are still not there

ANY assistance, advice, directions would be very appreciated
thank you so much for you kindness toward dunces like me
barbara

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
How to uninstall NCE manually

Once you've got rid of Norton you may have more luck removing the trojan that's infected your system. If you still can't get rid of the trojan, post a new topic in the Spyware Removal forum.

bjfc

bjfc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Less
thank you so much
I am printing the instructions right now.
GOD I AM GRATEFUL for people like you.
you are special, IN A GOOD WAY haha....
I will let you know how I make out if you want
barbara

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Yes, please do let us know how you get on, it's always good to know how useful (or otherwise) the advice we give has been.
Good luck !

bjfc

bjfc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi again Les1451
I am having a bit of a problem with this.
I can not seem to back up. It is me. I have printed the instructions and thought I better back up the whole computer to be safe. I was going to back it up to a floppy and started the process but it is telling me it will take over 8 days, honest, no misprint, to do it. I have three separate drives on the computer c drive is 120 g, e drive is 40 and f drive is 40
Could that be my problem? Do I need to copy everything?
Can you figure out what I am doing wrong? I am very sorry for being so dumb, Should I just take this somewhere?
I love learning but do not want it to be at the expense of someone else, especially if I can not ever repay them
will wait for your reply
barbara
also forgot to mention
on the instructions where it says the backup destination list, the file is not dark
I am not able to click on it to add anything to it.
the Backup media box I can add a direction but not the file one
barbara

Edited by bjfc, 16 July 2005 - 04:09 PM.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
It would be a good idea to backup your data files, documents etc. As long as you have installation discs for the applications you use you don't need to back those up as you can re-install them if necessary. The same goes for the Windows installation, provided you have the original Windows XP CD you can always re-install.
Hardware drivers (graphics card, sound card etc) would be another useful backup but you can usually find these on the internet if the worst should happen.
I don't know how your filing system is organised at the moment but as you have 3 hard drives you may be able to use one of them for backup purposes. There are backup applications available that compress the files so they don't take up as much disc space.
It all depends how important the files on your computer are to you, if you have things that you absolutely cannot bear to lose, back them up. Otherwise take a chance, all your programs can be re-installed, even Windows can be re-installed without losing your data files.
Take things one step at a time, if something bad happens you may be able to use the System Restore utility built into XP to reverse the situation.

bjfc

bjfc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok Les1451
On the C drive I have 31.7 used space
On the E drive I have only used 6.71 of space and
On the F drive I have used 10.9 space
What would you think if I combine the two drives for now
and copy everything from my C drive to the let us say
the E drive as I would most likely combine that drive to the
F?
I do have the XP pro disc and I think I have most of the other
stuff you mentioned.
If I do that though would that help and if I do mess this up
will I be able to get the computer to start do you think?
I will creat a restore point before I start too.
Most of the stuff I have I have the software for, the programs
and all.
thanks so very much
barbara

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Norton is not easy to uninstall, even when you follow the directions explicitly. Ordinarily, I would tell you to reinstall it to uninstall it, but you said you do not have the Norton CD. When you decided to kill Norton, you lost your firewall, and that is how you got smitfraud etc. The built in XP firewall is better than nothing, but it isn't enough to protect you.

The loud shrilling noise isn't Norton, either. It is called a POST code, and one long continous beep indicates a problem with power supply, system (mother) board, or keyboard problem. Do you by chance have a USB keyboard? The connection will look flat and rectangular, as opposed to round. Borrow a PS2 (round) keyboard and see if that stops the shrill noise. (Easy fixes first)

Your data is not going to fit on a floppy, or a cd. A cd holds less than a gig of data. At this point, after you rule out hardware problems, I would advise a clean install of XP. Only save your data- you do not want to carry over problems to your new install. Back up your documents, pictures etc to one of your hard drives (use the copy function) that does NOT have Windows on it. Then physically unplug the hard drive from the system so there are no accidents.

Here is a good tutorial for a clean XP install. You will have to reinstall your software, and need to put a third party firewall on before you attempt to go online. Post back if you have any questions or problems.

Johanna

bjfc

bjfc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Johanna,
I purchased and installed Spyware Doctor and that program located the Smitfraud
and deleted it and now my background is back and when I go to Display all the tabs are back.
I am so thankful :tazz:
BUT.....
The computer still has something wrong, that shutting down with that shrilling noise.
Do you think I should try to get it to someone?
I contacted the person who built this machine for me and I believe he has the Norton disk. I have not heard back from him but will hope he will take the computer back and uninstall it for me hoping that will stop this crashing.
I do not think so based on the information you provided
What do you think I should do now, any suggestions?
thank you very much for you time and expertise
barbara