Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S.M.A.R.T. error

• Please log in to reply

mysterylover

mysterylover

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4400. After going on vacation for a week, I came back and found that my computer would not reboot. First, a screen would come up saying this:

"A S.M.A.R.T. error has been detected. The IDE Hard Disk Drive is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard-disk drive by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corporation.
Press <Del> to Resume"

I pressed delete, and it said:
"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."

It gave me the option of starting up in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known good configuration, or Start windows normally.

None of these will turn on the computer. It goes to the loading Microsoft screen, flashes blue once, and acts like it shut down. Then it goes back to the S.M.A.R.T. error screen. However, trying to start the computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt brought up this screen:
"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware disk hardware.
Please check windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

Is there any hope for it, or do I have to go out and buy a new hard-disk drive?

Any help is appreciated, I'm at a lost. :tazz:
Thanks!

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
You will need a new hard drive, even if the old one could be repaired you wouldn't be able to rely on it again and the money you'd pay for a professional recovery service would be better spent on a new drive.
You may get lucky and be able to access the data on the old drive if you fit it as a slave to the new one.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I tend to agree with Les1451. This doesn't look good at all!

But, you may as well do the remediary stuff before investing... try reseating the hard drive cables. Also check bios to see if your Power supply voltages are in spec. (hit the delete key repeatedly as the computer boots up to enter bios, then find a tab/menu that list power forms).

makai