Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my crappy graphics card :(

• Please log in to reply

Ultimate165

Ultimate165

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey everyone. ive got and old graphics card: s3. prosavage and i need advice on what card would best suit my computer. i mostly play games like counter strike and i was going to get WoW but i realised i needed a better graphics card so can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks.

-Ultimate165-

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

what card would best suit my computer

It doesn't help that you don't list your system specs. No one can guess what would suit your computer. :tazz:

makai

Ultimate165

Ultimate165

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oops sorry. erm what do you need to know?

proccessor: AMD Duron™ processor, MMX, 3D Now, 900MHZ

Memory: 376mb ram (i installed a 256mb ram stick today but its different from my 128mb and since installing it a get bad lag when playing games, has the ram effected it?)

direct X 9.0c

graphics: s3 graphics inc. Prosavage, chip type rev A, internal, approx total memor 7.5mb :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is an old system. More than likely, any of the newer type games will suffer with what you have.

Have you considered upgrading your entire system instead of just your video card?

A "lagging" system could be caused by many things. Processes running in the background is a real killer when trying to play games. And yes, the ram you put in could be bad ram if it's affecting your play as you state. Try pulling out one or the other sticks and see if the lagging gets better.

Nowadays, even cheap MX440 32/64 meg vid cards are better than what you have, and they will play games like Quake3, however, they won't do well on Far Cry or Doom.

It's difficult to recommend vid cards to people simply because different users have different tolerance levels for what is good vs bad.

I would really consider upgrading to a newer computer (faster CPU) rather than keep replacing things on your current one. Money is better spent that way.

makai

Ultimate165

Ultimate165

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the advice, appreciated :tazz:

your right. it is an old computer, ive had it about 4 years now, i fixed the lagging. the 128mb ram that i used before i got the lag was a different make from the 256mb that i added. however even when using the 256mb alone it still lagged so either the ram dont work or is not compatible with my comp.

ive considerd buying a new computer but im very noob i dont understand much about the ins and outs and what gives you your moneys worth. thats why i didnt want to complicate things so i just asked for advice on a card lol.