Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying To Install Wireless Card

• Please log in to reply

Unreality

Unreality

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am trying to install an SMC wireless card, but my computer can not seem to find the hardware. I know that the card is not defective, so waht can I do?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Most cards require you to install the drivers before installing the card. Please read the installation documentation.

makai

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
What have you done so far?

Is this a new card or from an old computer? And does it support your "Operating System"

Post back details
Jack123

Unreality

Unreality

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, it a an old card from an old computer. I installed the drivers already, and followed the documentation. The card is an SMC2802W. it does support my OS.

I have tried to install it 5 times now, and I phoned the makers, SMC. They said it is not working because the computer cannot recognize the hardware. I tried 3 different slots, but none work!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Makai asked for:

Please list your system specs... motherboard, processor, video card, ram, etc... if you know them. It's difficult to help you without this information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Also describe old computer . . . .OS Win98?

Did you download latest drivers from SMC for Windows XP (if that is your OS)

It is important that you follow the correct sequence of Installation for your OS:

If you load driver 1st ...then card or card 1st then driver & when the other hardware components are installed/connected

The sequence/order of steps are important + latest drivers & cleaning out old driver . . .

If you did a sequence wrong then you may have to uninstall 1st. . . .before doing another installation. . . . . .

Even if it appears that it is not installed. . . .at least go thru the motions???!!!

Computers are like cats . . . .they just do things

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I see you are reading this post. . .
Jack123