Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows won't load, Full hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

Xagor

Xagor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Turned on my computer, started to load windows as usual, and into the 6th revelution of the bars, it freezes and flashes the Blue error screen witht the following text.

A problem has been deteected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.
If this screen apears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is
a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable to remove any newly installed hardware or software.
Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select
advanced startup options, and then select safe mode

Technical information:

*** STOP; 0x000000ed (0x86750c08, 0x0000006, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)

Now I havn't installed any new software for at the very least 2 weeks, and I havn't put in any new hardware since I got my computer. Also, it refuses to restart in Safe mode, brining me back to the same error message. Been going through this many times, and I think it may be my hard drive is way to full. (about 1 gig or less on it's 120gig capacity) I do have quite a few things I can delete to free up some space, but I need to get into windows to delete them, and that's not happening at this rate.
If anyone else has ever encountered this problem, or knows how to fix it, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Last time i got that problem was my hard drive had been fried the fluid bearing had burst and was leaking out the bottom. Twas a rather nasty surprise i can tell you. Try another HD you might be able to get the data you need and then reformat and put it back on.

coqauvin

coqauvin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Got that same blue and even the cryptic message below your post.

My fix:
1. I restored Winpew from a backup (True Image from Acronis).
2. Ran anti -malware programs (Ad-aware, Spybot).
3. Ran anti-virus (AVG)
4. Ran Tuneup Utilities (a register cleaner)
5. Installed ProtoWall and BLM
6. Backup (every week onto an external Firewire drive)

No more crashs since.

Your fix:
The same as above maybe if you have a backup of your C: disk.
Or Use a boot CD with ERD Commander and the do the above after reviving Winpew.
Or Reinstall Winpew.
Or get Linux.

Yeah, I have seen the blues too.
Winpew's blue screen: "I see a problem, so bye bye, your in it now sucker"
That is what I felt each time I saw the blue screen.
The machine I have will be the last running Winpew. Period. Sucker once not twice.

My fix is only one of thousands which you may find to your fix for Winpew.
Pi**ed no p*ssed on. Your problem brought back some memory of the lost days fixing Winpew. Sorry for the rant and boiling blood.

Edited by coqauvin, 16 July 2005 - 04:34 PM.