Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE DVD Burner

• Please log in to reply

flexoman

flexoman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello

I'm in the process of of buying a new DVD burner (internal IDE) and am a little uncertain about how this drive should be connected to obtain optimal performance.

I believe a DVD burner requires an 80 pin cable and my secondary IDE port is where I prefer to have it hooked to......I already have a standard CD Rom on that cable (which is a 40 pin cable).........SO!?..............What would be the way to approach this?

First of all ...Is there a problem putting my CD Rom on an 80 pin cable with my new DVD burner?

Should I have the DVD Burner at the top of the cable as master and CD Rom at the lower part of the cable as slave?

I've not bought the drive yet (But have found the one I want)....Just want to get some ideas on correct hook-up procedures before I buy it....

Thanks for any ideas presented....

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
For the 8o pin atapi cable you set both drives to cable select and which ever one you want to be master you plug the black connector in. Normally you will want the regular cd-rom to be master just in case you use boot from cd-rom or use an active cd-rom as your operating system.