Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Only Starts In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what about without networking?

if it loads without networking, try the following...

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

Advertisements

dineshpandian

dineshpandian

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

I did the check disk came bnack and there was a blue windows screen looking like this:

Windows has finished checking disc

And it like froze there, so i manually restarted and it tried to boot normally, safe thing happens.  So i manually restarted again and i clicked safe mode w/ networking, and as it loads the drivers and scrolls down, the keyboard does the same thing it does when trying to load windows normally now, the lock lights flash n' it like freezes at the start now of a safe mode start up.  Bleh!!!

View Post

I'm not sure if its safe to say that you'd need a reformat
and a clean install of windows, but its the best bet you've got.
good luck!

hydro1135

hydro1135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it does not load in safe mode or with networking. I come home from work and the blue screen was up for checking the disc but froze on step four of five at 36%. bleh is there anyway i can reinstall without having to find someones copy of xp i can borrow?

dineshpandian

dineshpandian

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

it does not load in safe mode or with networking.  I come home from work and the blue screen was up for checking the disc but froze on step four of five at 36%.  bleh is there anyway i can reinstall without having to find someones copy of xp i can borrow?

View Post

That narrows it down to either a hard disk problem
or a ram problem. Reinstalling can help eliminate the former,
but for the latter, I suggest you borrow a friend's memory stick
and try it out on your system.

I doubt you can reinstall it without
the original cd.