Can I still use the dos format command to reformat my hard drive from the dos prompt?
Yes, if you boot from a floppy.
1. Download a Windows 98 bootdisk from http://www.bootdisk.com
, or create one in Windows.
2. Boot the computer using this floppy.
3. At the command prompt type format c:
(i.e. A:\format c:)
4. When finished restart the computer again with the boot disk in the floppy drive and the Windows 98 CD in the CD-ROM drive.
5. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive letter (probably D:), type setup
, follow the prompts.
Else, we can help him remove the virus infections (and probably spyware too). I'd start with a free online virus scan
, then tryCWShredder
Download CWShredder to your desktop or other location. Close all browser windows, double click the CWShredder icon to run, then click the Fix ->
button. When finished, reboot and run Spybot Search & Destroy.
Finally, Spybot Search & Destroy
Download and install. Start Spybot S&D using the "Spybot-S&D (easy mode)" link from your Start menu . Click the Search for updates
button, if any are found then click the Download Updates
button. After all updates are downloaded, click the Check for problems
button. When the scan is complete, place a check next to anything marked in red
, then click the Fix selected problems
button. You may need to run Spybot S&D multiple times to remove all infections.