Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Erasing and re-installing OS on Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Amando

Amando

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A friend ask me to assist in him ridding his computer of a virus. After examining it and finding evidence of infection, i.e. slow execution, sudden lock ups, execution of programs not requested... etc., I figured just wiping the hard disk and re-installing Windows 98. It has been awhile since I have had to do such a thing and only with older versions of Windows and DOS.

Can you please advise me on basic steps to accomplish this? Can I still use the dos format command to reformat my hard drive from the dos prompt? Basically what is the quickest and most efficient way to wipe the hard disk and re-install Windows 98?

Thank you in advance.

Amando

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,489 posts

Can I still use the dos format command to reformat my hard drive from the dos prompt?

Yes, if you boot from a floppy.

1. Download a Windows 98 bootdisk from http://www.bootdisk.com, or create one in Windows.

2. Boot the computer using this floppy.

3. At the command prompt type format c: (i.e. A:\format c:)

4. When finished restart the computer again with the boot disk in the floppy drive and the Windows 98 CD in the CD-ROM drive.

5. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive letter (probably D:), type setup, follow the prompts.

Else, we can help him remove the virus infections (and probably spyware too). I'd start with a free online virus scan, then tryCWShredder Download CWShredder to your desktop or other location. Close all browser windows, double click the CWShredder icon to run, then click the Fix -> button. When finished, reboot and run Spybot Search & Destroy.

Finally, Spybot Search & Destroy Download and install. Start Spybot S&D using the "Spybot-S&D (easy mode)" link from your Start menu . Click the Search for updates button, if any are found then click the Download Updates button. After all updates are downloaded, click the Check for problems button. When the scan is complete, place a check next to anything marked in red, then click the Fix selected problems button. You may need to run Spybot S&D multiple times to remove all infections.