Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Display Panel Messed Up

• Please log in to reply

dhlrtist

dhlrtist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for being here.

I have a Dell Latitude with XP. I was on line researching some info when there appeared this highlight over the bottom third of the screen. I could still see through it and went on along for a while longer. I went away and I assumed it was the web site. Sometime later I come back and it is hibernating. I hit the power button the desktop reapears but the bottom third. It is still there because I can still access the icons with the mouse, I just have to guess where stuff is.

Please help if you can.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Boot the computer to Safe mode... hit the F8 key repeatedly as the computer boots up and do it before the windows splash screen.

When you get to the menu screen, choose safe mode.

The computer will boot, and you can check what the screen looks like.

Hopefully it's cleared up.

If it is, then probably it's a video driver problem and needs reinstallation.

If it's still messed up, then it could be your video card is bad, or your lcd screen. Windows uses a generic video driver in safe mode, and that too could be messed up, but it's quite unlikely.

Lets hope it's just a driver problem.

makai