Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Break the protection

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi, I am on a hame net work and on of the other people on it have there C drive shared but when I click on it and try to open some folders like documents and settings and windows it will not let me do so. Can I break this protection down so I don't have to go to the computer every time I want to do something to it (I would be the person that knows the most about computers in the house so I need to do it sometimes) if you would rather the slution of this not posted in the foram just PM. Many thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Windows XP protects certain folders like the ones you are having trouble accessing. You should, however, be able to create additional shares that are either the folders like "Documents and Settings" itself, or other folders nested therein (like profiles), and gain access that way.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Thanks for the answer, I wish that Windows did not portect them, If a person shares a drive every thing in it shoud be acessable.