Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Config Renew

• Please log in to reply

angelmaker

angelmaker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I received the following error message while trying to attempt an IP Config Renew.....Error occured renewing interfact local area connection operation was attempted on something not a socket.

Major internet connection problem with DSL. Tech support has fixed everything on their end but say it is now my problem with a socket.

Can someone tell me what this means and possibly how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The following link should solve the problem:

http://support.micro...123120121120120

angelmaker

angelmaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info. but I couldn't make it work at all. I tried repairing the network connection first and that failed. I then tried to remove the TCP/IP as suggested in the link but was unable to remove it. I was however able to delete the winsock files and restore them but that didn't help either. At this point, I am thinking we have a bad copy of XP as it is service pack 1 and unable to update it.

I am seriously considering a reformat of the system with a good copy of XP.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.
:tazz: