Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rebooting laptop

• Please log in to reply

mpnpsp1

mpnpsp1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

I was downloading some updates from microsoft and explorer froze. I tried using ctrl-alt-del to shut it down but now my laptop is frozen at that window. Is there a way to force it to shutdown and then to restart it?

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Have you tried holding the power button? If that does not work, then you can remove the battery. NOTE: remove any power adaptor that may be be plugged into both the wall and the computer.

mpnpsp1

mpnpsp1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, tried the power button and no, theres no power adaptor connected. Can I just wait for the battery to run down instead of trying to take it out?

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Yeah, you can just let the battery die. You should only have at most about a hour of battery life left at this time.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You might have to hold the power button down in excess of 4 seconds before the computer turns off. Did you do that or did you just press it.

makai

Edited by makai, 17 July 2005 - 01:40 AM.