Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL modem USB connection, NEED HELP PLEASE?

• Please log in to reply

judas-sacior

judas-sacior

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys my names Will, ;)
Im a seventeen year old guy from Australia

Ive been having trouble with my Dynalink DSL modem, It has worked fine for the past couple of months both mine and my mates computers run off the same modem.

His of the Ethernet and mine off the USB... First off the problem is I was Re- Installing AVG anti Virus and after completion I went to update the virus vault when i noticed I was disconected...

I looked at the conection box and it had a little yellow apostraphe´ and it said it had limited and or no conectivity... its reason was that it hadn't been asigned a proper IP address.. I took a look around and noticed it didn't have a default gateway, the IP and subnet mask was there but thats all...

I called up AAPT to get the IP to put in manually which came as followed

IP - 192.168.1.6
subnet mask- 255.255.255.0
default - 192.168.1.2 (suposivley the 2 means USB and 1 means LAN)
^
but even after that no luck what so ever and my internet company could not help me anymore, I know its not the modem because my mates still works off the Ethernet and i even tested mine with the same ethernet cord and same problem...

I did notice there was an invalid DHCD was 255.255.255.0 i think but i dunno what it is im only seventeen and learning about PCs in my spare time... please ive tried all i can think of even a system restore but it won't let me do it, if you have any advice please help...??

Thankyou very much, I apologise for the length...

Best Regards, Will :tazz:

Edited by judas-sacior, 16 July 2005 - 11:10 PM.

Advertisements

judas-sacior

judas-sacior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Its ok I found the problem, I went onto youre forums and heard about winsock... it worked wonders thanks guys...