Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a regedit mistake?

• Please log in to reply

dz2k

dz2k

• Pip
  • 4 posts
geez...just after i get the spyware mess off my cpu...now i have this problem. i used panda activescan after i upgraded to xp sp2 and it gave me the location of spyware/adware in my registry for SaveNow(which i was trying to get rid of all wk) and brilliantdigital. i did registry searches for those 2 and deleted whatever came up like some1 told me but it still came up in activescan. then i ended up deleting the registry themselves that were pointed out by activescan. well in the last day or so since, my cpu restarts. i did make a registry backup in the middle of deleting that stuff and right after i finished deleting those 2. do i have to go back? or can i use a system restore or something to fix it?
ive had like multiple errors lately right after logging into the cpu. one said something about NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM\system32\services32.exe terminated unexpectingly. then there was antoher time it just did it by itself w/o a msg. Then, 15 minutes ago as i was logging off a msg popped up giving me like 40 seconds to get out of everything(hehe, i was at the welcome screen) b4 another restart. when i get back logged in, it says it closed the Services & controller app. seems ok the next time i restart though but like i said, itll come up every now & then. any help for this??

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
1) If you get error reports to send to Microsoft - do it, because they might have an patch for your computer.

2) Spyware scans - if you want use Spybot and Ad-ware se, try that and see if it gets ride of it okies?

dz2k

dz2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ive got like 6 progs now for spyware/adware. i gotta finish running them later on but we'll see.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
:tazz: Coolies as soon as you done that let me know aye, if you want you can even IM me in here but please do remind me what it is about if you do IM me.

dz2k

dz2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well i ran all of like my 8 scans. this cpu seems to work fine now except for when i goto a couple things in my control panel.(performance/maintanence, appearance/themes, etc.). on those it just automatically closes them and returns me to the desktop or it may hang and i have to do cntl/alt/del. im not getting error msgs anymore nor autorestarts. i was trying to check out some d.e.p. settings but it wont let me go into the control panel to performance and maintenence. any suggestions because i sure didnt find any viruses/malware.

d.e.p= the error that came up a couple days ago. its data execution program and is auto enabled for windows services. my other cpu works fine w/ it on.

Edited by dz2k, 19 July 2005 - 11:04 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
;) Cool thank you for getting back to me with this. :tazz:

With the data execution program set it to 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and servcies ONLY

Which is defualt for that.

And reboot, try is again and let me know how that works for you.

Also was there any software that you installed before this problem happened?

Edited by Tony_1983, 20 July 2005 - 05:45 AM.

dz2k

dz2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you for your patience. i tried out the control panel several times today and it worked fine for a while. then afterwards, sometimes it would come bring up what i selected(ex. performance/maintenence) and sometimes it would take me to the desktop. DEP was already on for windows services only so thats good! it did close the Services & controller app on the day i originally posted this topic but all has been fine since except for what i stated above. do u know a good program to save a full registry backup? i saw the one that windows has but you gotta backup everything in that one. i may have to stick to simple exporting a single subkey if i ever run into another virus in my registry. but was wondering is there a better way to make a full registry backup w/ another program? im not sure what the problem is. i have installed like 5 spyware programs and left the cpu on throughout the day during those times while i was trying to rid myself of the 3-4 spywares on both of my cpus though.

Edited by dz2k, 20 July 2005 - 11:42 AM.