Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Not Start Windows After Reinstall

• Please log in to reply

deegoofy

deegoofy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello ,
I have come to a fork in the road, any help would be greatly appreciated.
After nearly a month of varied headaches from unresolved malware/spyware/trojans. I used every method to remove but still had sparatic problems the most problematic was a system error C000021A The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status f OX 00000005 (OX00000000 Ox00000000)
I backupd up my fiels and did an XP install on my F :(secondary) drive. I made sure it booted and then formatted my C :Drive. I couldn't get it to boot from the existing drive. So I used a WIN 98 boot disc and tried installing from CD to the newly formatted drive...No luck... after several restarts ater freezin on installing set up files, I was able to start the setup but then got a message the EULA file can not be found the installation can not continue. I could not find any way around this message. I then tried again to boot from the now D :drive (F:) Now I got a message NTLR missing fixed that by copying them from the CD drive. Still no luck.
I then tried changing the C drive to the slave and making the F drive the master. That didn't change the way the system reconginized the drives. I even disconnected the C drive and no luck.
Anyone with a suggestion I am all ears..........
At this point all I can do is boot to DOS prompts and the Setup Utility.
Frustrated and going to nap for now.
Thanks In Advance for any assistance.
Dee

Advertisements

niteghost

niteghost

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hello ,
0)
I backupd up my fiels and did an XP install on my F :(secondary) drive.  I made sure it booted and then formatted my C :Drive.  I couldn't get it to boot from the existing drive.

U lost me there, isn 't it customary for a clean installation to have C:/ the Primary active Partition to be formatted and install XP onto it. If is done corretly, XP should boot from that Primary Partition that U have selected. Infact, XP ask U which Partition U want to install XP to.

Edited by niteghost, 17 July 2005 - 03:41 AM.

deegoofy

deegoofy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

U  lost me  there, isn 't  it customary for a clean installation to have  C:/  the Primary active  Partition to be formatted  and  install XP onto it. If is done corretly, XP should boot from that Primary Partition  that U have  selected.  Infact, XP  ask  U  which Partition  U want to install XP to.

View Post

Actually that is my intention.
I installed a copy of XP on my F drive as a backup.
I could not format the c drive from Windows because it would not allow it because it was a system drive( right clicking for the option to format would not highlight for C drive). Thus I formattted from DOS and that is what you have read above. The install on F was a backup in case there was a problem so I could boot up...but apparently that is not possible. As DOS shows it is a system file but no matter what I do it won't use it to boot up.(e.g. changed bios boot order, tried making it the master drive..etc).
My intention is to install onto C drive but that isn't happening.
I will be happy with either getting past the EULA error or making the F drive the master system drive.
Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to bring my computer back to life?
Thanks
Dee

deegoofy

deegoofy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok.... I was somehow able to use DOS prompts to bootcfg.
This enable d me at startup to choose bootcfg to have my F drive bootup and start that copy of windows.
Now I run the XP Cd and all is fine until it restarts before it starts the install, if I let it restart automatically through the setup cd the same thing happens.
Now at startup I have prompts for :
bootcnf , 1 , windows setup and shoot I can't remember the other, maybe C:, I think.
My question now is how can I install XP onto C drive, it doesn't seem to want to .
it shows it in my system tools as healthy and empty and as the system drive.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am able to start windows now and start the setup but when it restarts it does not pick up where it left off, the only way it starts up again is if I choose bootcnf.
Thanks
Dee

deegoofy

deegoofy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Things took a turn for the worstagain..
I was able to restart several times using F: as the boot disc and XP was running fine. I installed Windows Update fiels and it went to restart and now I only get the "NTLDR is missing press enter to restart" message.
Now no matter what I do I can not even get into DOS to try to reconfig the boot order again. F10 gets me into BIOS Setup that way but none of the choices do anything, won't boot from floppy/Cd nothing at all.
Any ideas on how to get the F Drive to boot up again or for that matter the floopy boot disc so I can get back into DOS and try reseting the bootcfg again, as thats was what got me up and running before the windows updates.
Thanks
Dee