Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem Networking 2 computers

• Please log in to reply

awddrifter

awddrifter

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

I am trying to connect my two computers (a laptop and a desktop) together so I can transfer files from my desktop to my laptop.

I have been having a lot of problems doing this though.

I have a crossover cable (the orange cable, says its a CAT.6 UTP 500MHz on the cable).

The Desktop computer:
Name: one
Operating System: Windows XP home
Workgroup name: WORKGROUP
Network Card: Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection
1gig ram, 2ghz, p4, etc, etc

The Laptop computer:
Name: two
Operating System: Windows XP Pro
Workgroup name: WORKGROUP
Network card: Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
512mb ram, 3.2ghz, p4, etc, etc

I have enabled the "share this folder on the network" option on the folder i want to share on the Desktop computer under Properties ---> Sharing

Now, I have connected the Crossover cable to both computers, and have tried to use the "New Connection Wizard" on either computer many times to no avail of being able to connect the computers to share files. The odd thing is that I can use the "Network Setup Wizard" on the Laptop, but when I try to open the "Network Setup Wizard" on the Desktop, it does nothing at all and doesn't bring up the wizard.

I tried connecting the two computers together with the crossover cable again, and going into Start--> Control Panel ---> Network Connections --> Local Area Connection/Properties ---> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)/Properties, and then setting the Desktop's IP to 192.168.1.1, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0; and the Laptop's IP to 192.168.1.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0. I changed my start menu on both to classic, and went into "My Network Places" on the desktop, and nothing was there, or in "My Computer", or anywhere else. I then used a program called "NetBios Enumerator" and typed in to scan from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2, and both computers "one" and "two" showed up, with the IP's i set them.

The problem is though, when I tried to gather more info on both computers, it showed that I had shares available on my laptop computer, but didn't list any shares on my desktop computer (although i then enabled sharing on more files and still no results). I tried this program on both computers with the same results.

I don't have a CD or DVD burner in my Desktop.

Can someone help me find a way to share files from my Desktop computer to my Laptop computer please? I've tried almost everything (I think), and tried many windows help files with no luck. Thanks :tazz:

Edited by awddrifter, 17 July 2005 - 02:48 AM.

Advertisements

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Get the colors from each end of the cable as they appear in the RJ-45 connector.

Assuming the left most cable strand is 1 and the right most is 8, write them out for me if the connector release is at the top.