Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tool for thorough check of hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have a notebook that after a Perfect Disk 7 Defrag has been showing 110 excess fragments and indicating that this is in my Meta data c:\$BadClus.$

I recently had the LCD and keyboard replaced under my extended warranty that expires next May 2006 and the Warranty Depot Tech said that I would have to bring the notebook in and he would have to wipe the HDD clean with his Test programs and see if I have Bad corrupt files or that it is indeed a bad HDD.

He asked if I have a backup and I do in my western digital 160 gigs Storage Device, via my Ghost program.

I was just wondering if there is actually a program available that I could use that would not attempt to repair bad sectors as Chkdsk does and cause corruption in my data.

If I take it into the tech it won't be like the other repairs that took 45 min total, the drive will get erased and if there is a HDD problem then the Warranty depot will have to order it in and then install it.
Then I will have to install my Ghost image onto the drive. The Tech said about a week in total for lack of use of the notebook.
That is why I wondered if there existed a tool that I could use to see if these are Bad Sectors or Corrupt files and that the tool would not perform an attempt at repair that could cause problems.

Regards

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Right click your C drive go to properties and click the tool tap click -check now in error checking...put a checkmark in "automatically fix file system errors" and reboot

also download the Defrager...its GREAT http://goldenbow.com/aftp/VXP_v722.exe

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thankyou for the response. Since I am a Noob at all of this "techie tool" use I really want to make sure that if I do this will it in anyway possibly cause me to corrupt or damage present data.
One of my friends warned me not to use "Chkdsk" as it could likely cause me problems.

Also one last question, as I mentioned earlier I use Perfect Disk 7 as my Defragger and that is because I didn't like the Windows Defragger, then tried out Executive Software's Pro Version which several at our office eventually purchased last summer.
Diskkeeper worked good for awhile and then all of us noticed that our files started to get fragmented sooner than usual and so we had the Perfect Disk 7 on trial for 3 months and it seemed to do the job very well.
The notebook is perky and I defrag about every 5 days and it takes 45 - 50 mins Maximum and I really feel pleased with the results.
I wondered if I downloaded this one defag that you gave me the site for, whether there would be a problem if I used it this once.
My HDD again is 40 gigs with 24 free gigs.
The site for Perfect Disk is:
My Webpag

I look forward to comments.

Thankyou

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
The first thing in my post was Windows XP's built in disk check.It will not hurt/corrupt your files in any way.When you reboot...at the blue Welcome screen it will scan your hardrive.

VOPT in my opinion is the best defagger on the market.I say download it and try it a few times its free for 30 days :tazz: