Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer will not work

• Please log in to reply

jdp

jdp

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I recently changed my power supply. When I plugged everything back in my HP Laserjet 6p would not print. I plugged it in to the LPT1 port. When I try to print nothing happens and the dialog box will say the printer is "out of paper". The printer is turned on, hooked up correctly and does have plenty of paper.
Also, if I move the printer to my SCSI card the computer will not boot.
Suggestions would be apprectiated. Thanks,

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: HP Printer won’t work

Need to know more details: (Need to determine what device / problem to solve)
1- Does printer function with another printer?
2- Can it print out a test page?
3- What Power Supply was replaced – Computer? – Why? – Upgrade or was bad?
4- If answer is – Bad – Give details of failure – What was Root Cause of failure?
5- Troubleshooting details – indications of bad power supply –
6- Was printer connected or disconnected with Computer power or Printer power on?
7- Details of Computer – Operating System
8- Is printer on a network? or shared with another PC?
9- Did you have any electrical storm recently - did computer shut down because of Power Supply?
10- Printer problem. . . .did it show up before PS replacement . . . when did it begin? on initial turn on after PS replacement?
11- Check printer cable for bent pins (both ends + computer connector + printer connector) – 4 pls.
12- Can you provide any other relevant information – recent PC freezes – PC shutdowns

Post back with answers & we can formulate a planned procedure
Jack123

jdp

jdp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
11- Check printer cable for bent pins (both ends + computer connector + printer connector) – 4 pls.

By checking for bent pins and putting the cable back this fixed the problem. It must have been loose on the printer side. Now I feel really silly. Since I did not disconnect it from the printer I did not think to look there. Thanks a bunch.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Well glad to hear it was a simple fix. . .

I always go back to the basics . . . .

Enjoy your printing & thanks for the reply
Jack123