Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

legal xp pro over copied xp pro

• Please log in to reply

wotaz

wotaz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My daughters computer has a copied xp-pro. We have a new purchased xp pro, question is: when I reinstall the os, I assume all files and programs that she has accumulated will be lost :tazz: .If this is true can I copy all (disk copy) files to an 2nd hard drive, then reinstall xp then go back and recoup the files she had accumulated, and delete old xp os off the 2nd hd ;)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

If you have a new legal version, all you need to do is call Microsoft with the legal key code.. They will issue an activation code for you to use!!

Murray

wotaz

wotaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Murray; Tks for ur reply. But if the copy on the hd is from a different cd, wouldn't it be coded differently from the new one? :tazz: I mean before xp could even be installed it has to have a product code typed in before it can beinstalled. So aren't the product codes, for proof, i.d., purposes be different.
Unless ur telling me that Microsoft only needs to see an unregistered number, it will accept any previously installed xp program? ;)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
At worst, you may have to do a "repair" install of XP (doesn't hurt any personal files, programs, etc) using the new key code.. But, it is the activation code that makes all the difference..

Murray

wotaz

wotaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
;) Tks Murray, ur a big help. Took alot of my worries away :tazz: