Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP: Set Limited printing policy?

• Please log in to reply

drego5

drego5

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've set up a computer for my sisters and mother to use. I would really like for their accounts to be Limited accounts, as this would make things a lot easier on me, feeling more secure about what they can and can't load up on the PC.

As the title says, I'm using Windows XP. Professional edition, SP1. (I've tried SP2, and hated it.) I have set myself up as an Administrator (naturally) but when I set the other accounts to Limited, they're unable to print. So I set their accounts to Administrators, and they can now print. SO, I'm thinking it's just some Group Policy setting somewhere...

I searched Microsoft a bit, and one thing that it says is to look at the Properties page for the printer, then go to the security tab. Trouble is, there IS no "Security" tab.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks a bunch.

Edited by drego5, 18 July 2005 - 12:58 AM.

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Seeing as their accounts are "limited" accounts, they will only be able to do "limited" things on the computer. In your case printing is one of them. Let them ask you to print it for them?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Go into the Control Panel, locate the printer you wish to share, right click and define how you want it shared. In limited accounts, the admin sets the limits, not XP. XP makes the limits tight by default- YOU don't have to leave them that way.

Johanna

drego5

drego5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That's precisely what I'm asking about.. How do I access the area which specifies how to set up the limitations on Limited accounts...

As I said, I went to the Properties page for this printer, and there was no tab for "Security" And the Sharing tab only relates to sharing the printer across the network.

Take a look:
PrintProps.jpg

btw, VirusKillersM ... How feasible do you think it is, that every time anyone wants to print, they come to me, and ask me to do it for them? Perhaps you inferred certain things from the family-based structure.. My sisters are older than me, and I'm 24. Perhaps that'll tell you something about (essentially) asking for permission to print...

drego5

drego5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
*bump*

Help??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that does not appear to be windows xp, but windows 2000....did you turn off the eyecandy?

If so, is that screen capture from the admin account or the limited account?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You did log on to their accounts and check their printer properties, right?

This is irrelevant to your original question, but why did you hate SP2?

Johanna

drego5

drego5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
@ gerryf: Yes, it is Windows XP, SP1, as I said before, using the "Windows Classic" desktop theme. I despise those bubbly colors being used as the taskbar.
And yes, it is from the Administrative account, not a limited account. As I believe I stated, I needed to set all users to Admins to be able to let them print.. So that's how it is now.

@ Czarina: Quite honestly, I can't remember if I did or didn't check the Printer's properties under the Limited accounts.

As for SP2, I did install it for a short time on my PC, and although I can't remember which features specifically it was, I do remember that I was unable to access certain features I enjoy. Furthermore, I remember that I was totally unable to access a network which I knew I had configured properly and was able to access just minutes prior. And on other systems I've seen recently, I don't like the way that Windows thinks that it knows better than me, and constantly turns on Automatic Updates and Windows Firewall, even though I expressly turn them off. Basically, it's a teenager. It may be right in certain cases, but I'm still the one in control, and what I say goes. SP1 will listen to me, however.