Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

looking for a little BF2 help!

• Please log in to reply

buffphan

buffphan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey all,

Built my own computer and kind of new at this so I was wondering if I can pick a few brains.

I can barelely play BF2 and I had just upgraded my video card so I could really see it the way it was meant to be played. I have spent plenty already and just want to get this thing playable at fairly high settings

amd 64 3000+ 2.0
Nviida 6800 Ultra
gig of ram

if you need any other details let me know I am standing by....

Do I need more RAM? Is it as simple as clicking it in?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
what does the 2.0 signify do you have 2 6800 ultras or is your cpu running at 2GHZ, it should be running smooth even at max settings, the demo does on my system and its pretty similar.
Go to BIOS and set it to optimised defaults, also whats your mobo and cpu core. And is it a decent gig of RAM. I find when i overclocked my cpu any BF2 did get stuttery and crashed when other games didnt if its overclocked take it down a notch see if it helps.

buffphan

buffphan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
First of all thanks for replying so quickly.

I did mean that my cpu is running at 2GhZ.
I don't know how to tell if my ram is decent or not, I bought Corsair (2X512MB) package at the advice of a computer savy friend.

As far as mobo and cpu core, I am again pleading ignorance. I also do not know how to mess with the BIOS.

Just ask if you need any other info, I really appreciate the help.
Let me know man, I really want to solve this!!!!

UndeadInsanity

UndeadInsanity

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
With the 6800 ultra you should be running BF2 perfectly.

Have you scanned for malware?

buffphan

buffphan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, I have run some disc scanners and spybot. I have never heard of Malware? I'll run it through the old Google or please point me a link.

Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you dont now how to use BIOS then how did you get your cpu to run at 2GHz the 3000+ runs at 1.8GHz. But either way it should be runnin smooth benchmark your system make sure it is running properly use sis sandra or something similar to check. Is it just BF2 or are other games runnin badly for you.
Malware = malicous software, a wide term for any nasty stuff that tries to kill your computer or do damage/theft.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I don't think you have a hw problem.

read this tweak guid. pay paticular attention to the part that talks about Cache. you should reduce your graphics options to medium. close out the game. delete the cache, defrag the drive. reboot and relaunch the game. It will reoptimize your graphics and should allow you to play better.

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html

one other thing might look at if this doesn't help. Nvidea drivers 77.xx version are very buggy. going back to 71.xx (available from nvidia driver archive) might be the best option).

buffphan

buffphan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, I will try all this when I get home tonight. I hope it is not a HW problem. I'm still very new at all of this, but by building this computer I am really learning. Not much of a gamer, but I just really dig BF games and want to play them the way they are supposed to look. Right now I would just settle for it to work at all!

buffphan

buffphan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
also warriorscott,

Thanks for all your help as well. I must have misread my specs about the 2Ghz processor

I bought it off Newegg and when I tried to recall the invoice for you to see, it's old.

It was the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle 800 Mhz.....

THat's about all I can get from the invoice, the link to the product is gone. Does that help any?

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
What settings are you playing the game at?

Advertisements

buffphan

buffphan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
As far as settings pretty much all medium and low. Is that about all I can hope for? I tied the game on my 9800pro 128mB radeon card and was able to get the same. Shoudn't a 6800 ultra do better?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the answer is yes. do you know what version of nvidia drivers you are using?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 6800 ultra should rip that game apart and put it back together looking like you are in the middle of a battlefield. If you can borrow a copy of farcry or something similar in quality you can see if it is an all games thind thus eliminating hw, although your cpu could be better it will be limiting the 6800 ultra but not to that level.
Also try the driver roll back seems to fix alot of problems.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
update your agp driver for the system board then test and see how it works. if the results are still poor then roll back the driver to 71.xx and see what happens.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Oh..what is the wattage of your PSU. Your 6800U could be underjuiced