Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hello i need help puting togheter a good computer

• Please log in to reply

cgboy

cgboy

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok i am thinking of buying this MB http://www.tigerdire...2100&CatId=1183
on this MB it says that it has Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 3 Pro150 what does that mean is it like a buildin video card if it is than how much mbs is it??128mb maybe??

but i don't know what cpu chip should i get and i am thinking of spending $150 on cpu and i want to get like 1G DDR Ram and how much would it cost. i got HDs from my old com as well as other stuff but do i need to get a new power box for my new MB because its going to use more power?

Just keep this in mind the computer will going to be use for CGI stuff all the 3d 2d animation stuff so if u got any sugestions plsese tell me.. tytyty

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
the frist thing you need to do is pick a cpu chip before you look at MB you need to make sure that it works with the chip you buy. What mz chip are you looking to go with?
<_<

cgboy

cgboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i am not too sure what cpu chip i want because i don't relly know alot aobut them but if u ask me i would probably pick a Amdathlon xp 2600 but i really want that MB because it can suport 8g of ram like a g5 and i am using this computer for cgi stuff.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What's your budget? I don't know a lot about CGI programing, but if you're going to be rendering with programs like Lightscape and 3D Studio Max, you'll want the fastest CPU you can afford. A Pentium 4, or AMD64 will give you the best performance as these programs have been optimised to run on these CPU's. I don't think you'll need more than 1gig of memory, and surely not more than 4gb. <_<

The board you're asking about is for the AMD 64 bit CPU, and must be used with ECC registered memory. You're probably looking at well over $2,000 to build this complete system (plus monitor).

If you want the AMD64, there is a new AMD64 chipset and CPU coming out in a few months that will use std DDR ram, and in dual-channel mode (this means faster performance, and cheaper memory). Also the CPU package is being changed to 939 pins. For future compatability I'd recommend holding off until these components become available.

cgboy

cgboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i hear that you need as much ram as possible for doing 3d because of the rendering and stuff but i didn;t know that MB only works for ECC registered memory what ever that is.. well i got a monitor and most of the stuff from my old com, but if there is a new and better set of MB+CPU coming out soon than i might hold a bit and i think my budge is about $1500 max. so i would love to save as much as posible. And can u give me more detail on that new MB thats coming out. just how fast is AMD 64 anyways?? Also if you want to know i'll be running maya5 and pscs most of the time on my com as well as AE5 so i am not too sure about how much ram i would use. But that 8g ram MB is very atempting.

Edited by cgboy, 03 March 2004 - 12:39 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Click Here for a quick article relating to the new AMD64 platform.

Very few programs currently support 64-bit instructions, even the 64-bit version of Windows isn't avaialable, yet. Still, the AMD64 is one of the fastest processors you can buy, even in 32-bit mode. Next generation software will surely make use of 64-bit instructions, and like you're already aware, a 64-bit system isn't limited to 4gb of RAM.

If you want a serious high-end system, this new AMD64 platform with PCI Express support will be the one for you. <_<

cgboy

cgboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
so how much is it and does it come with a super mb??sorry i am noob

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
No pricing available yet <_<

I'd guess $150-200 for the mobo, $350-400 for the CPU, plus your memory, hard drive, video card, etc.

cgboy

cgboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
holly so that cpu chip doesn't come wiht the MB?? I only got like 1500max...and also about how much longer i have to wait??? also how can you take out the cpu fan form a com because the one in my old com is not working anymore..my com is overheading g2g plsese tell me how to take it out and fix it...