Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME problems

• Please log in to reply

redcard

redcard

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, my the computer I got in my room its totally messed up. A while ago, if I had a folder open, where it would normally say the name of the folder it would say '%thisdirectoy%'. Then, a couple days ago I was unable to open any folder, the Control Panel, IE, prettymuch anything that came with the computer (I could still use Firefox, etc.) I have ran Norton and AVG Free Edition and they both keep catching this r.exe file. I tried to use Norton's instructions to remove it, but none of the files or registry keys were present.

Also, I was going to try to reinstall ME without losing my data, but I don't have a floppy dive that works on that computer.

Edited by redcard, 17 July 2005 - 01:49 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Also, I was going to try to reinstall ME without losing my data, but I don't have a floppy dive that works on that computer.

View Post

What kind of installation disk do you have? Did it come from the computer maker, or Microsoft? Is it a full install or an upgrade? What brand of computer? Let me know and I'll help you.

redcard

redcard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think the disk came with the computer from Gateway. I beleive its a full install but I'm not sure. I beleive it's a backup. I was going to do the reinstall instructions that are pinned at the top of this forum, but I don't have a floppy dive on this computer, or my other computer.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I think the disk came with the computer from Gateway. I beleive its a full install but I'm not sure. I beleive it's a backup. I was going to do the reinstall instructions that are pinned at the top of this forum, but I don't have a floppy dive on this computer, or my other computer.

View Post

If you only have the computer makers disk you'll either have to look in whatever literature they gave you or follow the instructions on the CD for a reinstall. Very often the CDs will autorun when you put them in and give you a menu. You may need to set your BIOS to boot from CD-ROM. You do that in setup.

redcard

redcard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, thanks.