Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random black screen..

• Please log in to reply

csu266

csu266

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,
Built a computer almost a month ago and it works great except for this one little minor problem. Windows will load up and right when you have to see the welcome screen, you will see a black screen and then the monitor will basically shut off..its one of those shut offs where the green light on the monitor is flashing slowly kinda when the comp shuts off the monitor. So i enter my password even tho i cannot see what I am doing, watch the hdd light until it calmes down, and then follow the keys to shut it down..windows key, up arrow, enter, enter and voila..shut down. Somtimes even after restarting it will pop up again and sometimes it will show me everything and go into windows fine and i can do whatever. This is very random and only happens most of the time if the comp has been off all night and i turn it on the next day.

I turn my comp off during the night because its like a jet engine otherwise. I have 5 fans and a hsf from AMD. Well even with all this my cpu temp idles around 48 and max is around 56. These arent great but I have been told that they are fine, maybe in a couple of weeks i will get a thermaltake, the with the adjustable fan speed.

Anyways, please let me know why my monitor shuts off at the welcome screen sometimes..appreciate the help.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
give your system specs?

cpu
motherboard
memory
video card...

csu266

csu266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
System specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Socket A
Asus A7V8X-X mobo
430W power supply
2X 512MB PC2700 333MHZ NON-ECC DDR DIMM
80Gig WD hdd
ATI Radeon 9600 pro 256MB

Hope this helps..
Thanks

Twitch83

Twitch83

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have the exact same problem I actually changed through three motherboards each time it fixed my problem but it happened again with a completely different motherboard this time and i would really like to fix it without buying another... Please if anyone knows the answer to this help us lol. My specs are:

P4 3.4
500 Watt power
Geforce 6800
2 gig ram

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well first thing to check is do you have the latest drivers for both your cards installed.