Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error with XP windows update

• Please log in to reply

Invisible

Invisible

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

I am having a very difficult time with Windows update with my xp service pack 1 computer.

Everytime I try to do windows update, it doesn't matter whether I use the "express" or the "custom" method, I can always download the components, but after everything is downloaded and whenever the computer is trying to install the packages, it always give me the error in this format:

Installing ... <packages and fix) ... failed!

Please see the attached picture for the error that I am getting. Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails

• error.JPG

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
See if this helps : Click Here

Invisible

Invisible

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

Thanks for the link. However, the methods that are listed on that site cannot resolve the problem.

and yet .. the most strange thing is, I cannot even find out what the error code is, so it's not like I can search Microsoft's database and look up what the error might mean.

But FYI, I have no problem downloading the components and packages, it's more like the process comes to a halt when it tries to trigger the installation, and it does not matter if I do it the "express way" or the "manual way".

Am I missing some critical files inside Windows that prevent me from performing such action?

Today I also performed office update, but everything went through smoothly, what can be wrong???

Invisible

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What happens when you install SP2 from your hard drive instead of the MS site?

http://www.softwarep...dows/xpsp2.html

Johanna

Invisible

Invisible

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello~

Thanks for the link again.

Actually, before you offered the second link, I went ahead and use the Windows CD to perform a repair on the OS.

So ... pretty much I was "downgraded" back to just Windows XP (without service pack), but when I went ahead and do windows update from the web, everything went smoothly, and now my pc is running on service pack 2.

I guess the problem must have been caused by missing some critical files (some .exe or .dll) or etc, but thanks once again

Invisible