Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Shut-Down After Dialing In

• Please log in to reply

lostlostlost

lostlostlost

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue] ;)
I'm no computer expert. I am trying to set my husband up with a 'new' old computer (something I thought would be a piece of cake), however each time I try to sign him on to the internet, I hear the familiar dialing sound, a pause as if the connection is being allowed, and then the screen goes to black and begins to re-boot.
I've found myself checking all of the obvious places like connection properties and modem properties but I have no idea how to fix this.
I am running Windows XP Pro and using a standard 56k ISP.
Is there anyone out there who can offer any suggestions before I become COMPLETLY frustrated?!?! :tazz:
Thx in advance!

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Check Device Manager to see if a previous modem installation exists, if so remove it.
You could also try uninstalling / reinstalling the current modem (switch off the computer in between).

lostlostlost

lostlostlost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hummm - I tried that but it didn't fix the problem. I even tried to install a trial version of AOL thinking it would be a temporary fix and it would at least allow me to get online for a long enough time to discover what the actual problem is and correct it. Unfortunately when I loaded AOL and it tried to sign on (using dial up) the exact same thing happened.... as soon as the password was accepted, the screen blacked out and went into restart mode. I just don't understand what's going on here. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The first thing you need to do is shut off the auto restart. Control Panel>System>Advanced>Start-Up & Recovery> Settings
untick manually restart. Check your event logs for error messages during the other attempts. Replace the modem with a known working good one, if you can. I don't know why it's crashing when it tries to establish a dial up internet connection, but I'll help you troubleshoot it.

Johanna

lostlostlost

lostlostlost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can go in and turn off the auto-restrart like you showed me how to do but I'm scared of what will happen if I do that. I mean I won't know what do if I get a blank screen or something. I also don't have another modem and I know that this one was working before I got it. Is there a way to contact you direct via e-mail or something so that you can help me figure this out? I have my own working computer where I can run back and forth or whatever. My email address is chasenmom@msn.com.

I would love for you to help me troubleshoot this problem but I don't know how to reach you with furthur questions.

Thanks so much in advance!
Kelly

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

When I rebooted the computer after turning the auto shut down off a new box
came up.
It was the "3Com Modem Manger".  I hit a "Diagnose" button and then a "Test"
button and it showed that the modem FAILED.  I guess it means that it is a
faulty modem.  Is there any other option other than installing a brand new
modem?    I don't know much about this kind of thing.

Okay, we got an answer. Before we put another modem in (It's actually one of the easiest jobs) let's make sure that the modem is bad, and not just in need of some drivers. In the Control Panel, go to System>Hardware> Device Mgr. Locate your modem, and check the properties. We may need to download the drivers on your other computer and install them on his. Write down the exact name of the device so we can go to the manufacturer's site directly.

I am cutting and pasting this back to the forum because keeping it public is how everybody learns. Please post back to the forum on your progress.
Johanna

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

Anyway, I forgot to mention that after I did that test with the modem
manager and it said that the modem failed - I clicked on failed and it said
"a system error".  Could this indicate a bigger problem?
Also I think that this computer was once part of a network that didn't use a
modem directly (this is an assumption).  In the tree that came up in devise
manage, my hard drive had it's own name ex. N8T9K8.

To answer your question, it's a U.S. Robotics 56K Voice PCI

Okay, finding the right driver should be easy. You are able to get into Windows now, right? Have you been to the device manager to get the name of the modem? Uninstall it, or disable it, and let Windows "find" it again, or use the Add New Hardware Wizard to enable it. If you need to, download the driver on your computer and install it from a floppy. Have you tried to go online with the modem since you got Windows to boot? I know, a zillion questions, but that's troubleshooting for you!

Johanna

lostlostlost

lostlostlost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This is very frustrating. I had uninstalled the modem at one point today and let windows find it. Now when I try to sign on, I get an Error 633: "The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly) and then it just continuously redials. I thought that the 3Com Modem Manager may be affecting this since it was open and the only new thing in the picture so I used my task manager to exit out of it and I get the same error when I try to dial in. :tazz:
Oh I also searched for US Robotics website and had no luck.

I'm starting to think that this is just a lost cause. I walked away from this computer and thought I'd try out the modem's troublshooting feature. When I started the troubleshooter (I answered the first question), the screen went blue. It said "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer .... Gave some technical info numbers like: stop: 0X0000000A etc and then said a physical memory dump had been completed and to contact the system's admin or technical support group for furthur assistance.

I think I'm in way over my head here.

Edited by lostlostlost, 18 July 2005 - 05:14 PM.