Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios problems

• Please log in to reply

metaphist

metaphist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im on a laptop with Phoenix Bios. A program I downloaded called biosagent.exe tells me that it is version 4.0 release 6.

Anyway, there are no editable options for shadowing or caching anywhere in the bios. I'm having some trouble with my hard drive that includes crashing to the blue screen with the STOP error, followed by a reboot where I usually get the message that the OS is not found. Usually when I go into bios and reset the configuration data, the hard drive responds normally on the next boot, but this problem repeats sometime later. I have no clue as to the reasons for this error, I havent installed any new hardware whatsoever since the day I got this laptop. I've had it about a year and it's only just now having this sort of problem.

The blue screen, of course, suggests disabling shadowing and caching but I can't edit that in my bios. I know I'm in "supervisor" mode because "user" mode has just grays out a few of the already sparse options.

So what's the deal? Do I need to upgrade this bios? Is there another way to edit shadowing and caching options?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can check with the mfr. of the motherboard or computer and see if there are any free BIOS upgrades. You may be able to get an upgrade from Phoenix, but it will likely cost you. I've only done one BIOS upgrade but it was pretty easy, you put the files on a floppy and you run the executable in DOS mode and it flashes the BIOS memory. It was also well worth it. It came from the motherboard mfrs. website.

You may also be able to get chipset driver upgrades.

It's entirely possible from your description that the hard drive is going out. You might want to run a thorough scandisk and read the report.

And one more thing, you might want to check your CMOS battery, since it is what keeps the settings.

Edited by Tyger, 17 July 2005 - 08:30 PM.

metaphist

metaphist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've had this laptop maybe a year and a half, so if the hardrive is giving out thats pretty freakin gay.

I did run a chkdsk which found and repaired 5 or 6 bad sectors, however it crashed a couple more times since then. I ran a virus scan with AVG, it only found some Java/ByteVerify stuff. Right now I'm running an Ad-Aware scan thats already found a bunch of objects, and later I'll look into finding a diagnostic program from my drive manufacturer. I'll also see if I can find a third party progam to edit the bios settings.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
A few bad sectors on a drive that's only 18 mos. old is not a good sign. If it's still covered by warranty you might want to see if you're elligible for a replacement. A drive ought to be able to run for three years straight, 24 hours a day, before it shows signs of failure.

But the other stuff you seem well on top of.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah bad sectors are a bad sign, from there an HD will only go downhill. On the caching and shadowing thing not all the bios and boards have the option my new mobo doesnt rather confused me at first, but alot of the functions are automatic so i have left it alone it is rarely a problem or fix of a problem to have it on or off i have found.