Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Full install of xp

• Please log in to reply

JONPAULONLINE

JONPAULONLINE

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I want to Full Install XP on a 'Used" computer, that I acquired.

What steps are required to remove prior owner's software?

Advertisements

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
It should automatically wipe all of the hard drive, should give you the option to create a new partition, create that and then should ask if you want to get rid of all previous stuff, progs etc.. click yes, and install your new os.

cheers woody

JONPAULONLINE

JONPAULONLINE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
woody ,

Thank you :tazz:

Jon Paul

JONPAULONLINE

JONPAULONLINE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
[B]If I purchase a OEM XP sp2 CD at Walmarts , would it still work the same way on full install.
I see that walmarts advertised a OEM version on the web and its a lot cheaper
than others

Jon Paul

Edited by JONPAULONLINE, 17 July 2005 - 09:06 PM.

JONPAULONLINE

JONPAULONLINE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Perhaps i should ask if you used a
OEM version of windows in the past?

Jon Paul

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
uhm, asking who?

You can use an OEM version of Windows XP do install fresh.

Set the pc to boot to the cd-rom first in bios

Start the PC with the CD in the cd-rom.

Windows setup will start.

After you hit f8 to accept the EULA, you will be given a choice to delete or use the existing partition. Choose DELETE and then follow the prompts.

JONPAULONLINE

JONPAULONLINE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
gerryf,

Do I understand you to say to place the CD in the computer while
it is powered off?
----------------------------

Then step #2- turn on pc to start the process--
-----------------------------------------

Please reply - I want to fully understand

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
No, I don't think he said that. The PC has to be powered up to put the cd in the drive. What you need to do is get into your bios (usually done by pressing delete key during boot up) and set to boot from cd first. Save changes and exit bios. Then boot up, put the OEM XP cd in the cd drive. Then re-start the computer. It will boot to the install cd. Follow the prompts like Gerry said.

JONPAULONLINE

JONPAULONLINE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Austin,

Its good you mentioned that in detail. I had no idea that I needed to do the steps you mentioned.

Any more tips from all is most welcome and appreciated

Thanks
Jon Paul

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi JONPAULONLINE...Welcome to G2G...

Let's take this a step at a time as it appears that you have not done this before.

1) Power on your computer. When you hear the "beep", tap either the F1 or Delete button repeatedly until you get to the BIOS Setup. Note: At the bottom of the first screen you can see when you power on it will usually tell you which key to press to enter setup. If in doubt, you can tap them alternately until you enter BIOS.

2) Find your Boot Order settings and set the first boot to CD-ROM. Save your settings and exit BIOS Setup. (Save your settings by pressing F10, typing a "Y" when prompted and pressing Enter. Note: You may have to press the Esc key one time before you can save the settings and exit.

3) Place your installation CD into the CD-Rom drive and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart. Now the fun begins.......

4) At the bottom of the first screen that appears, two lines of text will be displayed. The first will be "Boot From CD"...a short moment later the second one appears under it..."Press Any Key To Boot From CD"...tap the space bar or hit any key to Boot from the CD.

5) From this point you will need to follow the prompts closely. At some point you will be asked to "Accept the Agreement"...Press F8 to do so. Shortly thereafter, it will ask you about drive partitions. You want to FIRST...Delete the current partition and SECOND...Create a new partition on which to install Windows.

6) Now you will be prompted to Format the partition and will be given two choices. Don't choose the Quick Format...Let Windows do the complete Format. Once the formatting is complete (This takes a while...be patient) Windows will begin it's Installation and you can sit back and watch for a while. Note: Have your CD Key ready...you'll need it to complete the install.

Once you get Windows installed, you'll need to install your drivers...if you haven't got the software for your devices, you may have to return here for a little more help.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

wannabe1

JONPAULONLINE

JONPAULONLINE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
wannabe1 ,

Thank you

Jon Paul