Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st time DSL install Suggestions ?

• Please log in to reply

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
OK 1st off THANKS for any help :tazz:

My parents are getting DSL after years of dialup ( I have Comcast ) and i know DSL likes to install a bunch of crap like internet monitors, yahoo browser, etc..,etc... Im 99% sure you can just use Microsofts IExplorer with DSL just fine.

I guess what im asking is Do i have to use the install disc that is gonna come in the mail with the modem and stuff ??? Im hoping i dont need to install any software?? Can I just hook up all the wires and plug in the ethernet cable from the modem and click on IExplorer???

There computer only has 56mb of ram and is prolly 8 years old. I know im going to have to install a PCI ethernet card.

If anyone has any expierence with DSL and all its "supposed helpers" please let me know. ;) ;)

Edited by retrac, 17 July 2005 - 10:19 PM.

Advertisements

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well I have BellSouth Fast Access DSL, and we use it on 2 computers (we just switch out the ethernet cable ;)). On the first computer, we installed the software, went through the long tutorials etc. and the internet worked fine. But on the second one, all I did was pop the ethernet cable in and it was good to go. I'm 99% certain that you don't even have to install anything. In fact, most of what we did install was things to help you answer questions.

So I'd try just setting the hardware up and plugging it in before you install anything, but if you run into problems you might then want to install the software that came with it.

Hope that helps :tazz:

logan11

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Depending your your type of service you may need to log into an account. I've set up a small network here and just logged in with the router page. This eliminates the need for any software download or installation. And it may depend on the type of modem, some may let you log in directly, others not.

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ya now that I think back, on the first computer I did have to log in, but it was also on a webpage, so I suppose if you can find it/get someone to send you it, you could do it like that also

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
What you mean "send it to me" ...like send me the web page?? Im a lil lost here ...So i would just need to login 1 time i guess to let my modem know its me or something??Im lost.....