Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell GX280 ... ITHR problem

• Please log in to reply

TestyTech

TestyTech

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My company has also had a few of these problems with the GX280 systems from Dell. I just resolved one of these issues I hope by updating the BIOS to A06.

If you are having a problem getting past the ITHR problem message I found that clearing the CMOS settings by shorting the jumper on the MoBo gets you past this error condition you might have to unplug the USB devices also but I have not had to.

We have over 1000+ GX280s with the Dell FP170X (1702-1704) monitors working in the field and I have only seen this problem twice and not heard of any others from my coworkers, so this seems to be a very rare problem.

As I said I hope the A06 BIOS update fixed this systems problem, it is working for now.

Advertisements

Robert787

Robert787

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This issue is resolved by turning off USB boot in the BIOS :whistling:

bigwang

bigwang

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think this issue is a pretty good indicator of how low Dell quality has sunk. They are quite honestly the worst computers currently manufactured. 5-10 years ago, you'd never see a message like this. Now? All the time. My favorite "solution" on many of the forums where I've researched this problem is that you need to get into BIOS and clear an event log. That's wonderful. So, let me get this straight. I can't use my computer because some moron at Dell decided that computers should not be used when something is in the event log?!?!?

Note to Dell: There is absolutely no difference between a completely broken computer and one which can't be used just because of a wholly idiotic "feature".

They are absolutely terrible.

hollisterbulldawg

hollisterbulldawg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I just posted to another area but I will restate quickly here. I just had the "...failed checkpoint [Ithr]" problem last night. I have a Dell 8400 (no clue as to Motherboard identity). After 85 minutes with Dell Tech Support in Bangladesh, I was no closer to a solution and said goodbye. Afterwards, I followed my mayday computer procedures: I disconnected everything except keyboard and monitor. Unplugged the computer, pressed the on switch to discharge everything. Then rebooted. System worked fine. One by one I plugged in components and rebooted. Discovered a bad USB socket into which my internet cable was plugged. I moved the USB line to one on the front side and the system returned to normal. The original symptom was that I lost my internet connection. So I was rebooting to see if that would fix the problem. On second reboot the "...failed checkpoint [Ithr]" message occured.

Is there such a thing as a commercial computer built with reliability in mind? Or even with competent tech support?

MrSchultz

MrSchultz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had this problem on my Dell XPS600. Actually, "checkpoint [Ithr]" only appeared ONCE in dozens of boot cycles. Most of the time all I'd get was a black screen, and a nogo.

After reading the forums here, I took a look at the BIOS settings. There is one place where you can tell the BIOS not to boot from USB (at least, I think that's what it does). At any rate, selecting No Boot there doesn't do much to fix the problem. However, when I make the local hard drive the FIRST bootable device, THAT worked. I disabled all but the hard drive and the CD drive, but made the hard drive first in the list. Preventing the BIOS from looking for a bootable device on a USB connection seems to have fixed the problem.

Icky.

One side effect seems to be that it boots faster now - an unexpected bonus.

BTW, I agree that Dell's quality seems to have slipped a LOT from the time I got my first one some years ago. The XPS is a screamer, plenty of horsepower, with nice innovations, etc. But if it can't get past the simple stuff... I mean really, how long has USB been around? This is just sad, and frustrating, all the more so because Dell seems not to care.

Good Luck!

toomuchinfo

toomuchinfo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Checkpoint [Ithr] error....
Tried everything I read in all the message board posts...
boot without USBs, didn't work
took out battery, disbled USB in BIOS, (had to reset clock, configure that there is no floppy), no other changes...was able to boot all the way to login screen, was able to plug in mouse, and get to desktop, but computer locked up after 1 minute.
I thought I had it figured out, was even able to bring Outlook onscreen, but after I closed outlook (no functions performed since I did not have internet connection), the computer locked up. Couldn't ctrl alt del to unlock....will try a few other things, such as disabling more stuff, but seems to be a weird problem....
one fix I haven't tried was updating bios...currently I am on A04 on my Dell dimensions 3100 desktop...Is A06 an appropriate update? and How do I do it?
any help appreciated.
Thx

5H3375

5H3375

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there guys,

First off thanks for the posts. Some other websites I tried said that I needed to replace the mother board or some other drastic measures. However, my problem had a simple solution. I was getting the "Checkpoint [Ithr] message on my Dell XPS. It wouldn't boot and just kept giving me the same error message. I had an Xbox 360 plugged in to the front USB port and when I disconnected it, my computer booted up just fine. You couldn't imagine the relief in knowing I didn't even have to crack the case. Thanks guys. :)

- J Dub

sandy77

sandy77

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Demension 310 and had the same thing happen, after reading several complaints on the internet about the same problem, and after taking the tower apart and removing the battery then reinstalling it I was finally able to get past the Alert! screen and after I unplugged all USB's it booted up....then I plugged everything back in and it's working fine. This is crazy....and a pain!

Thanks for posting the helpful info.

Sandy77

chapel976

chapel976

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So, my employee was complaining of having the fan on the PC going nuts constantly.

I've gotten the following diagnostic lights and the ITHR error only ONCE:

Yellow A + D - A possible floppy or hard drive failure has occurred.
Yellow B - doesn't exist on the dell diag lights
Yellow B + D Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists.
Yellow D - Other failure has occurred.

Unplugging the USB worked once, but not now. when I turn the PC on, the fan just spins to max and gets no POST.
The Diag lights are different all the time.
Also, when unplugging the USB after doing a CMOS reset, I can't get it to go any farther because... I can't hit F1 to continue... that's where I'm at when it TRIES to POST. it just stops and waits for F1. installing a keyboard afterwards doesn't work as the keyboard failure is there already and there are no PS2 ports on this box.

I'm debating ordering the motherboard. I just want to make sure it's the right part.

Edited by chapel976, 23 April 2008 - 08:33 AM.

tennyson98

tennyson98

• Pip
  • 1 posts
simple solution for me. the monitor I was using has usb ports on the side of it. there is a usb cable that connected to the back of the PC. Once I removed that it booted just fine. Also just a thought, if usb is set to boot from BIOS, then the system might be trying to boot the monitor and that is what is causing problems.

Tennyson98

Advertisements

ryan51012

ryan51012

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Found this link: http://support.dell....t.htm#wp1054305

My customer's computer showed A (green) B (green) C (yellow) D (yellow)

I had her unplug everything but the keyboard and mouse (both usb) and the issue still came up.

Unplugging both the keyboard and mouse allowed the computer to boot.

Plugging the keyboard and mouse into the front of the computer (although not ideal) allowed the computer to boot.

This computer is over 2 years old so it's rather strange that the issue just appeared now.

navy

navy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dem 8400 Pentium 4 ht 3.20 GHz XP home edition service pak 3 bios ver A04, not sure of the mother board but its LGA 775 socket.

So about a week ago my computer would not turn on amber power light on steady and fan at full blast. I tried to turn it on and off did not work. Unpluged it went to bed got up the next day unpluged all the usb, internet, and everything else. Turned it on it booted up normal and about 2 mins in xp it freezes completely time doesnt move, cant move the mouse. Turn it off and back on it does the amber power thing again. I done this a bunch of times and one time i got this Checkpoint code "Ithr". Now it just going back and forth between booting and freezing and the dead system thing. I read out all the voltages and grounds on the power supply they all checked within there tolerances. The fault codes on the back always different. I also reseated all the cards and power connectors and removed the battery a few times. Tomorrow I'm going to test the ram to see if it is causing the freezing stuff. I just did the service pak 3 update about 3 weeks ago or so. Not sure if it would cause this. I'll keep posting the results

Rockrockroll

Rockrockroll

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer also had the ITHR Problem, since i bought the computer on Ebay Used. DELL Support did not want to help me. I went to buy a enclosed harddrive to remove the data from my hard drive.

Before i did it, i found this forum. THANK YOU GUYS, IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!

I unplugged everything and started up the computer without anything plugged in. When I left the speaker in and heard the Windows start up. Then i plugged everything back in. PERFECT!!!!!

You guys are the MAN, Save my computer. I cant believe this problem was soo easy to fix. Thanks..Rock

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Has anyone tried looking for bad capacitors? The dell GX260,270 and maybe now 280 have had bad capacitor problems. See www.badcaps.com for what to look for. These will be located on the motherboard.

dabigquack

dabigquack

• Pip
  • 1 posts
God [bleep] Pro answer..

Got my problem fixed first try thanks