Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dvd-rom & Cd-rw

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I have two optical drives, one a Dvd-rom and the other a Cd-rw drive. Sometimes when i insert dvd's or cd's the computer freezes and i have to restart the computer by pressing the reset button. It's like if i buy new dvd's, then im just trying them out one by one, then after the i try the second dvd when i insert the third dvd the computer will freeze (that's an example), or sometimes it just randomly freezes when i insert a dvd or cd. Anyone know how to resolve this problem?

I have a P4 3.00Ghz with HT, 1GB Ram, 128 GeForce Fx 5700 Ultra Graphics Card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is the hardware set up properly with one drive set as the slave, also you should get SP2 probably wont fix your problem but it is a good idea to get it.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yes, they have been set up properly, that was the first thing i checked out. I did have SP2 but I installed it cause it gave me problems. Any way of dianosing the optical drives?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried just one drive.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yeah i tried the dvd-rom by itself and it caused a problem so now i've switched them the other way around. Made the dvd-rom slave and the cd-rw master. It's been working fine till now. Hope it does resolve it or else ill be posting back.

thanks for the help btw