Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get to desktop

• Please log in to reply

Graeme Hedley

Graeme Hedley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have used your advice to remove spyware and trojan problems that have plagued me for ages. After I rebooted my computer everything was fine except I was stuck with a white desktop which would not change. The next time I started my computer, just after I had put in my password the desktop I had chosen appeared but none of the icons or the start bar would appear. I can still run things by opening task manager but this is a pain!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graeme

Advertisements

UndeadInsanity

UndeadInsanity

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Post anything regarding malware in the malware board please.

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
When you log in, open Task Manager and click File-New and type in "regedit"

No find this entry:

HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows NT-Current Version-Winlogon

Now locate the item called Shell, double click on it and make sure it's value is explorer.exe

If not then make it so it is and reboot, if the Shell item is not there at all then right click in the right hand pane and choose New-String Value and call it Shell then double click on it and sets it value to Explorer.exe and then reboot.